The Student Room Group

Are vacation schemes necessary?

I was just after some advice from you helpful lot.

I am on a 2 year LLB programme for graduates after doing a Politics degree (2:1 at Leeds Uni).

I wondered how important it is to secure a vacation scheme. They all seem to be highly competitive and applications can often simply be speculative.

I'm also in the position of being a penultimate year law student but only in the first year of my degree at 22 y/o. Could I just gain some more work experience this summer and then apply for schemes next year with first year results under my belt?

It seems so difficult to get that training contract at the end especially without an attractive placement on your CV. I got ABB at A-level, scraped a 2:1 due to a series of health problems acknowledged by my university, have got both relevant and other work experience as well as playing sport at a near professional level before serious injuries. I am healthier and motivated to get high 2.1 this time round.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Going from what you have said, I think vac schemes or other legal work experience will be important for you. Also try connecting with firms you want to apply for by going to their recruitment events/workshops etc.

Non legal work experience will balance out your CV, but the big question I suspect that will come from your CV is why "commercial law" (I'm assuming you are wanting to apply to commercial firms). Studying a degree doesn't really demonstrate that, so you would need to demonstrate through other means that you know what the job entails, why you are going to be good at it and why you will enjoy it. Easiest way to demonstrate this is through legal work experience.

If it isn't a traditional vac scheme look for in-house legal placements, or smaller high street practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm in good position to be able to get work experience at small city firms and legal departments of Goldman Sachs and Sky through a couple of contacts, so will look to pursue them all this summer. Then I'll go for insights etc early next year and see if I can apply for vacation schemes too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
If you can get the experience at Goldmans and make a favourable impression on the people you are working with, you will open a lot of potential doors - Goldmans legal department has probably some of the best connections to commercial firms.

Make sure you work hard at getting very good grades in your first year of your LLB because at the moment the only other thing holding you back is your academics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm aware I need to do well and so I'm aiming to get 65+ minimum. I get Jan results soon and much of the year rests on the summer exams so they are crucial. I hope that will rectify previous grades where I can hopefully claim they were due to sporting commitments and the other personal issues.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending