The Student Room Group

PGDE Art and Design applications

Hello,
So I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. I graduated in June from my illustration degree with a 2:2. I shouldn't do, but part of me blames my living situation with a manipulative (I'm tempted to say) Machiavellian flatmate. However, since graduating I have moved in with my partner of 5 years and I feel a lot happier (an understatement) and a lot more motivated.

Most of this year I have been trying to freelance with a little success here and there, but hopefully it will pick up. Around Christmas I applied for PGDE courses in Primary and Secondary art and design at Strathclyde and Glasgow uni. I have been rejected from both primary options (which isn't very surprising as they're very competitive), but I have yet to hear back from the Art and Design side of things. I'm feeling very nervous as I read on Strathclyde's website that they usually look for people with 2:1s; I rung them up, and they said that it's generally the case, however, if I have some redeeming qualification (the example she gave was an A in English at higher), but I got a C at A level English language (which isn't general English), and a B at GCSE. I struggle to see how A level English would be relevant anyway, as in England we only have 3 choices, and some people don't even choose English.

Although I don't have a 2:1, I did win a D&AD New Blood award in my final year at Art College, which I am HOPING will give me a foot up to the graduates who did manage to get a higher grade. When I was in 6th form I did do some volunteer work with disabled children, and my first year of art college I also helped decorate Leeds General Infirmary for the children's christmas party- but that's the current extent of my 'experience'; I am however, looking for schools to gain work experience at. I would have thought that you'd gain experience actually doing the PGDE though...

What do you think? Do I stand a chance? I am very passionate about art and design and genuinely do want to get into teaching.
Original post by Pencilforce
Hello,
So I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. I graduated in June from my illustration degree with a 2:2. I shouldn't do, but part of me blames my living situation with a manipulative (I'm tempted to say) Machiavellian flatmate. However, since graduating I have moved in with my partner of 5 years and I feel a lot happier (an understatement) and a lot more motivated.

Most of this year I have been trying to freelance with a little success here and there, but hopefully it will pick up. Around Christmas I applied for PGDE courses in Primary and Secondary art and design at Strathclyde and Glasgow uni. I have been rejected from both primary options (which isn't very surprising as they're very competitive), but I have yet to hear back from the Art and Design side of things. I'm feeling very nervous as I read on Strathclyde's website that they usually look for people with 2:1s; I rung them up, and they said that it's generally the case, however, if I have some redeeming qualification (the example she gave was an A in English at higher), but I got a C at A level English language (which isn't general English), and a B at GCSE. I struggle to see how A level English would be relevant anyway, as in England we only have 3 choices, and some people don't even choose English.

Although I don't have a 2:1, I did win a D&AD New Blood award in my final year at Art College, which I am HOPING will give me a foot up to the graduates who did manage to get a higher grade. When I was in 6th form I did do some volunteer work with disabled children, and my first year of art college I also helped decorate Leeds General Infirmary for the children's christmas party- but that's the current extent of my 'experience'; I am however, looking for schools to gain work experience at. I would have thought that you'd gain experience actually doing the PGDE though...

What do you think? Do I stand a chance? I am very passionate about art and design and genuinely do want to get into teaching.

I don't know about Scotland and PGDE's but PGCE's in England usually require a minimum of 2 weeks work experience in a classroom setting - yes you get experience doing the PGDE but your being assessed so you need to know what your letting yourself in for in for before. And even then some people get rejected for lack of experience/and or do a year out as a teaching assistant. You wouldn't go into an exam without having covered the material first would you?
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I don't know about Scotland and PGDE's but PGCE's in England usually require a minimum of 2 weeks work experience in a classroom setting - yes you get experience doing the PGDE but your being assessed so you need to know what your letting yourself in for in for before. And even then some people get rejected for lack of experience/and or do a year out as a teaching assistant. You wouldn't go into an exam without having covered the material first would you?

Thank you! I am going to be emailing in schools next week to see if they'll take me. I did try a couple of primary schools a couple of months ago, but the head teachers never got back to me.
Reply 3
Original post by Pencilforce
Hello,

Scottish universities normally require 2 weeks experience in a classroom setting so you're right to look into gaining some work experience.. Just be a bit pushy and ring schools up to see who you can speak to about it!

Sounds like the experience you do have will give you something to talk about in the interview and even better if you can relate it back to things you've learned that can be applied in the classroom and so on.

With regard to your 2:2, I've been made an offer this year and the condition is 'attaining my degree' if that makes you feel any better. Of course they want the best people but they also want you to show passion for your subject and commitment to the course what with it being so intense over the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending