Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Going to the gym when depressed and emotionally drained? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you/can you easily do the above, or do you tend to put it off for a time you feel better?

I find it near impossible to focus so the workout is either crap and makes me feel worse or ends really quickly.

Does anyone feel better after exercising?

ReputationRep:
    I'll always go to the gym no matter what my emotional state because once I get warmed up and focused I completely forget about anything else. Particularly if I've had a good workout I'll be as high as a kite for the rest of the day. I'm not sure if that's just me though...

ReputationRep:
    Exercise is one of the few things in this life that make me happy!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't feel like going but I'd usually pick a running route that has some 'escapes' and tell myself I need to do a 2 mile route and if I don't feel better I'll give up and come home and then by the time I get to my escape for that I feel better and carry on

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about emotionally drained but if I'm extremely busy and stressed, there are two things that realy relax me: meditation, and working out.

ReputationRep:
    The gym helps me with anxiety and all sort of bad mood. I still go when I don't feel like it because it shuts my brain up when I get going. I'm never thinking about anything other than what I'm doing and my immediate environment. So when I finish I feel sort of reset. It's like respite from negative **** in my head.

ReputationRep:
    I agree wih everyone here. Since I started to attend the gym regularly, I feel so relaxed that the next day my mates asked me - "what did you take". Seriously though, when you are depressed its the best time to workout (in my opinion anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbownightlock)
    I'll always go to the gym no matter what my emotional state because once I get warmed up and focused I completely forget about anything else. Particularly if I've had a good workout I'll be as high as a kite for the rest of the day. I'm not sure if that's just me though...
    This.

Especially when I'm lifting, it takes my mind of things, and the test let's me focus on what I'm doing rather than what's around me and what I'm going through.

That's actually one of the main reasons I lift, to take my mind off things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've found that going to the gym when feeling sad/frustrated etc can just make me feel worse, so it's not a solution.

On the other hand, going to the gym when already feeling motivated/happy can really heighten those emotions.

Things like yoga help me when I'm sad or stressed sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    It's a myth, exercise doesn't make you feel better mentally. I'm always depressed and emotionally drained, I can't be bothered with going to the gym, it's a depressing chore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icebaker)
    It's a myth, exercise doesn't make you feel better mentally. I'm always depressed and emotionally drained, I can't be bothered with going to the gym, it's a depressing chore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Find a workout you enjoy. I'd feel that way if I forced myself to do something I don't enjoy (e.g endurance cardio on bike or cross trainer). But I've found I love running and lifting, and am excited to do it. Whatever you're doing atm clearly isn't the thing for you. Try a new sport or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upagumtree)
    Do you/can you easily do the above, or do you tend to put it off for a time you feel better?

I find it near impossible to focus so the workout is either crap and makes me feel worse or ends really quickly.

Does anyone feel better after exercising?
    Maybe it's not because you're depressed or emotionally drained, it's because you didn't eat enough for the workout

ReputationRep:
    I know this has already had quite a few replies, but I just wanted to say that I know what it's like to be feeling how you are. And I find that after building up the motivation to actually get to the gym I find it fun and enjoyable to make myself workout. I always listen to music, or set a time limit or sometimes set how many calories I want to burn. This way I'm always more determined to achieve my goal. Also, after I've been to the gym even though I feel sweaty and gross I do feel better about myself.
    I really hope this has helped and I wish you all the best! We all have down and depressing times and whatever it is that's troubling you I'm sure you'll be able to pull through

ReputationRep:
    I went

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upagumtree)
    I went
    How was it?

ReputationRep:
    IMO, it is exactly when you're emotionally drained that you should go! It'll help you keep your mind off of whatever's bugging you and you'll be able to get some mental rest. I know it helps me.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I know I always enjoy it when I'm there, but I tend to put it off when I'm feeling bad. That's definitely the worst thing I do because I then find it difficult to get back into and don't feel like my fitness level is improving. I'm going tonight but haven't been for a couple of weeks, hopefully will get me out of this rut. My advice is go!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.