Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional offer from the UEL to start in September and I am most likely going to accept it. I live in London but waaaay over the other side so I'll need to move realistically to attend. However looking at the accomodation guaruntee, you have to be able to pay £750 up front in total to guaruntee a place in their Docklands accomodation. I am going to be 21 by September and therefore technically a mature student. Even though I'll be working, I seriously doubt I will have the money given that between then and now I have to eat and generally live my life. Saving will be hard, not impossible, but extremely hard. My family can't help.

What I wanted to know, basically, was what my chances are of getting accomodation if I can't pay that money? Like, I know sometimes there is places left over after everyone who can has done so, but what are the actual chances of that happening?

Otherwise I'll have to go into private accomodation which isn't so bad- I mean, I'm not particularly interested in living in student accomodation per se, it's just for convenience, but being a born and bred Londoner I know that most private accomodation isn't going to be much better than this unless I want to live in someone's shed. I could commute at least temporarily but I really don't fancy it, not especially when I'll be relying on Boris Johnson and his whims with the public transport. Besides which it'd take me about 2 hours at rush hour to get from where I live to lectures.

Sorry for the rambling question here, I was just wondering if anyone had any help to offer with this in terms of my options and likelihood as mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geebeeiii)
    I have an unconditional offer from the UEL to start in September and I am most likely going to accept it. I live in London but waaaay over the other side so I'll need to move realistically to attend. However looking at the accomodation guaruntee, you have to be able to pay £750 up front in total to guaruntee a place in their Docklands accomodation. I am going to be 21 by September and therefore technically a mature student. Even though I'll be working, I seriously doubt I will have the money given that between then and now I have to eat and generally live my life. Saving will be hard, not impossible, but extremely hard. My family can't help.

What I wanted to know, basically, was what my chances are of getting accomodation if I can't pay that money? Like, I know sometimes there is places left over after everyone who can has done so, but what are the actual chances of that happening?

Otherwise I'll have to go into private accomodation which isn't so bad- I mean, I'm not particularly interested in living in student accomodation per se, it's just for convenience, but being a born and bred Londoner I know that most private accomodation isn't going to be much better than this unless I want to live in someone's shed. I could commute at least temporarily but I really don't fancy it, not especially when I'll be relying on Boris Johnson and his whims with the public transport. Besides which it'd take me about 2 hours at rush hour to get from where I live to lectures.

Sorry for the rambling question here, I was just wondering if anyone had any help to offer with this in terms of my options and likelihood as mentioned above.
    Private accomodation will also require you to pay a deposit, usually at least one months rent plus admin fees which might not be much less. As for your chances of getting accomodation if you can't afford that, its worth asking the university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Private accomodation will also require you to pay a deposit, usually at least one months rent plus admin fees which might not be much less
    I'm pretty sure I said this but I'll see if I can find out. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geebeeiii)
    I'm pretty sure I said this but I'll see if I can find out. Thanks.
    You just said you'd have to go private if you couldn't get a place in UEL halls due to not being able to afford a deposit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    You just said you'd have to go private if you couldn't get a place in UEL halls due to not being able to afford a deposit
    Ok, my bad, I was sure I wrote that it wouldn't be much better cost-wise but I just re-read it and apparently not, whoops

ReputationRep:
    I literally have the same problem mate, I've emailed the accommodation team about it and awaiting a response. They'll probably tell me to just sort it out though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.