Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, this is my first post so bear with me.
    I'm currently in 5th year and doing higher biology, chemistry, maths, English and French and I really want to do medicine so of course I need A's in all of them.
    We've been having our prelims of late at school and I feel awful about most of them - especially maths because I didn't have a clue about most of the questions. Anyway, what I want to know is does it really matter if I get terrible marks in my prelims considering I need 5 A's in the real exams? And if you've done or are doing higher maths did you find the prelim impossible?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbownightlock)
    I'm currently in 5th year and doing higher biology, chemistry, maths, English and French and I really want to do medicine so of course I need A's in all of them.
    We've been having our prelims of late at school and I feel awful about most of them - especially maths because I didn't have a clue about most of the questions. Anyway, what I want to know is does it really matter if I get terrible marks in my prelims considering I need 5 A's in the real exams? And if you've done or are doing higher maths did you find the prelim impossible?:confused:
    It doesn't really matter, no. The exams are quite a while away, which is more than enough time to become competent in all subjects if you put the effort in. Just don't let your prelims knock your confidence.

How hard did you study for your prelims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pennyarcade)
    It doesn't really matter, no. The exams are quite a while away, which is more than enough time to become competent in all subjects if you put the effort in. Just don't let your prelims knock your confidence.

How hard did you study for your prelims?
    Hello and thanks for your reply.
    Erm... I'd say I did as much studying for my prelims as time and stress levels allowed but I probably should have done more for maths.

ReputationRep:
    Hello and thanks for your reply.
    Erm... I'd say I did as much studying for my prelims as time and stress levels allowed but I probably should have done more for maths.
    Okay. Have you had your marks back yet? Maybe you haven't done as bad as you think.

I know plenty of people that have got really bad marks in prelims and came out with As. You just need to use them to see where you went wrong and refine your study technique.

You mention stress - It is important to use this as motivation, remembering that the more you study the less likely you are to stess about it. Infact, exams become an enjoyable experience once you feel like you have done enough to comfortably achieve the grade you want.

I used this site for maths practice, it has plenty questions to keep you going. I'm not particularly great at maths and still did fine, I just did tonnes of practice Qs

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm on sixth year just now and did the exact same subjects as you last year, I have also applied for Medicine!

I wouldn't worry too much about the prelims, unless you are on death's door on exam day you can't appeal anyway.
    Also, I was grossly unprepared for my Maths prelim last year and barely knew a thing. I failed one paper and got a C in the other - meriting me with an overall C grade. I was gutted with this result but it motivated me to get myself together for the exam and I ended up achieving an A in August

ReputationRep:
    Replace French with History and I'm in the same situation as you ☺, I managed to do well in prelims, the thing that worries me more is the required level of work experience, volunteering etc etc required to apply for medicine. What kinda stuff have you guys done??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    Replace French with History and I'm in the same situation as you ☺, I managed to do well in prelims, the thing that worries me more is the required level of work experience, volunteering etc etc required to apply for medicine. What kinda stuff have you guys done??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dont worry, volunteering over a long term isnt necessary. Youll get the impression from TSR that every tom, **** and harry has 2 years at a carehome, and a year on the wards.
    There is no 'required level' - you just need to have variety of short term placements.
    Its important that you have taken part in activities that let you 'tick the boxes' so to speak, ie worked in a team, been a leader, seen the realities of medicine etc. This will give you alot to talk up at the interview and a wide set of skills you can demonstrate.

I have applied this year, Ive had 2 interviews and have another next week. Volunteering wise, I have a month or two helping in a care home, a few weeks helping on the wards, a couple of sessions helping at an autistic karate class and a few months of tutoring younger pupils. It was a real pain in the arse finding these volunteering things though.

Work experience wise, GP is by far the best in terms of things to discuss at interviews. I literally spent 2 days with a GP and the interviewers at Glasgow were lapping up the cases I talked about, it was great

ReputationRep:
    I've had a weeks at a GPs and he's offered me more time, but I wasn't sure if it would be best to try another setting such as a hospital environment.

How did you go about helping in the wards? I didn't know you could volunteer for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    I've had a weeks at a GPs and he's offered me more time, but I wasn't sure if it would be best to try another setting such as a hospital environment.

How did you go about helping in the wards? I didn't know you could volunteer for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Take it take it take it. More work experience is always better. Remember to keep a journal of the stuff you have learned etc.
    Getting hospital volunteering is soooooooo hard, you just have to ask everyone and anyone to help!

I emailed the NHS for my area and asked if they allow volunteers (theyre slow as hell to reply, but if you annoy them enough theyll let you).
    When you start volunteering on wards you could even annoy the doctors you meet on your travels for work experience, its probably easier than emailing the NHS about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.