Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone studying at the Manchester School of Art? I'm really interested in what it's like, I'm hoping to study Animation but would like to hear about people's experience in any subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to study fine art there (it's my insurance after Leeds but I doubt I'll get in there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petrichorus)
    I'm hoping to study fine art there (it's my insurance after Leeds but I doubt I'll get in there)
    Why don't you think you'll get in?

Did you like the buildings? Our guide on the open day didn't know anything about any subject except Photography so it was a bit frustrating, also we didn't see much of the building!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicejuly)
    Why don't you think you'll get in?

Did you like the buildings? Our guide on the open day didn't know anything about any subject except Photography so it was a bit frustrating, also we didn't see much of the building!
    I'm doing a UAL Extended Diploma, and it is apprently notoriously difficult to get a distinction (what Leeds are asking for), and I can't find anything online about it and the best advice my lecturers have given me is "work hard" so :mad:

And I haven't been to an open day Did you like what you saw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petrichorus)
    I'm doing a UAL Extended Diploma, and it is apprently notoriously difficult to get a distinction (what Leeds are asking for), and I can't find anything online about it and the best advice my lecturers have given me is "work hard" so :mad:

And I haven't been to an open day Did you like what you saw?
    It looked good, the facilities are great, I'm slightly cynical about the collaborative space, only because I think it's good to have some space to work on ideas without feeling constantly watched. Having said that, I didn't get to see the fine art studios. The thing I really liked is you get to use the faculties of all departments so you could incorporate printing, book-binding, textiles, photography, animation, etc. into your work if you wanted.
    I think there's another open day in June. Also if you get in touch with them, they might let you go along to an applicant day (even if you haven't applied yet) to have a look around and see if you like it...I did this at Chester Uni a couple of weeks ago and got to speak to the tutor whilst I was there so it was really helpful.

Maybe you could get some advice on what to do from them. As a mature student I'm finding it difficult to work out the best route in, UCAS,etc. cause I think everything is geared towards school-leavers who can get their teachers to do it for them!

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard anything back from them yet? I had an interview for Illustration with Animation on the 23rd January and still haven't heard anything Does anyone know how long they take to reply? I've heard a week so mine is long overdue

ReputationRep:
    I've got to submit an online portfolio for the same course! Any tips on what to include? I'm studying a foundation diploma at the moment and its very heavy-leaning on the fine art side. I've been looking around forums, websites etc for information on what to put in the portfolio but I'm scared my work isn't good enough! I've got character poses, some illustration work, a very simple animation and will have some life drawings by Tuesday but other than that I'm puggled!! 😕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethy_jayne)
    Have you heard anything back from them yet? I had an interview for Illustration with Animation on the 23rd January and still haven't heard anything Does anyone know how long they take to reply? I've heard a week so mine is long overdue
    im the same i had an interview for photography coming up three weeks and havent heard anything just got to wait it out i guess which sucks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.