The Student Room Group

When to apply for HCA jobs?

For those who have worked/are currently working as a HCA, when should I start applying for jobs if I was start soon after the September GAMSAT?

I've heard the CRB/DBS checks take a while, but can anyone give me an idea of the timescale that the application takes?

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Start late spring/early summer. Interviews are normally 2weeks to a month after the closing date. And then it can take a good couple of months to get dbs/occupational health etc sorted.
Original post by liam__
For those who have worked/are currently working as a HCA, when should I start applying for jobs if I was start soon after the September GAMSAT?

I've heard the CRB/DBS checks take a while, but can anyone give me an idea of the timescale that the application takes?

Reply 2
Original post by liam__

It can take a while. In my last job I got the offer in January. CRB/DBS check took about a week and I was pleasantly surprised when I received a provisional start date of mid-February. But then you have to factor in things like asking for HR asking for more paperwork and documents and forgetting about your application when the person handling your application changes job role. I eventually started in May, two weeks after I was supposed to because they decided to inform me of my start date via the post. The letter arrived a couple of days after I was due to start so I had to wait for the next induction.

I would apply a couple of months in advance, and then if everything gets sorted out quickly you can give a later start date.
Reply 3
Great, cheers guys! Much obliged :smile:
Original post by liam__
Great, cheers guys! Much obliged :smile:

No problem. Good luck with GAMSAT and HCA applications when the time rolls around!
Reply 5
I've got a HCA interview tomorrow, they gave me a ton of paperwork to complete including a CRB/DBS payment form, car park pass, immunisations, etc. I don't want to jump the gun but it feels like they want to give me the role and just meet me on a face-to-face basis first (I've been a volunteer at this hospital for a year now) as I can't imagine they'd ask for all this information from everybody at such an early stage (first interview).

I'll keep you posted with the progress, but I have to work a months notice minimum at my current job regardless.
Reply 6
Original post by Marathi
I've got a HCA interview tomorrow, they gave me a ton of paperwork to complete including a CRB/DBS payment form, car park pass, immunisations, etc. I don't want to jump the gun but it feels like they want to give me the role and just meet me on a face-to-face basis first (I've been a volunteer at this hospital for a year now) as I can't imagine they'd ask for all this information from everybody at such an early stage (first interview).

I'll keep you posted with the progress, but I have to work a months notice minimum at my current job regardless.

Thanks! Good luck with the interview.
Reply 7
Woop, apparently I am appointable but I missed the phone calls to arrange what ward I will be working on, so am trying to get hold of someone or making sure I don't miss the next phone call!

The interview was only on Monday so I am surprised they have tried to get back to me so quickly. The interview was simple and pretty easy, there was a morning group and afternoon group both compromising of around 15 applicants each. We were broke down into smallers groups of 4/5 and did some group tasks, such as tackling the 6 C's and what we thought each stood for and if we were stranded on an island kind of scenario.

After the group sessions there was a one to one interview where I was interviewed by 3 ward managers, they were all very nice and impressed that I work full time, part time as a carer and volunteer as well. I answered some simple scenario questions and why I was interested in the role.

I never mentioned that long term I want to become a doctor and that I saw the position as a good starting point as a transition into healthcare.
Reply 8
Original post by Marathi
Woop, apparently I am appointable but I missed the phone calls to arrange what ward I will be working on, so am trying to get hold of someone or making sure I don't miss the next phone call!

The interview was only on Monday so I am surprised they have tried to get back to me so quickly. The interview was simple and pretty easy, there was a morning group and afternoon group both compromising of around 15 applicants each. We were broke down into smallers groups of 4/5 and did some group tasks, such as tackling the 6 C's and what we thought each stood for and if we were stranded on an island kind of scenario.

After the group sessions there was a one to one interview where I was interviewed by 3 ward managers, they were all very nice and impressed that I work full time, part time as a carer and volunteer as well. I answered some simple scenario questions and why I was interested in the role.

I never mentioned that long term I want to become a doctor and that I saw the position as a good starting point as a transition into healthcare.

Congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending