Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I'm writing my French controlled assessment on Monday and I have a few questions:
    1) Will using Canadian French affect my grade? (my family is from Quebec and as a result I've picked up a few words)
    2) Is there a maximum word count?
    3) Any tips on how to get an A*?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (I'm on a different exam board, but I gather it's similar to some extent?)

1) I would say yes. I also have family from around those parts, and they all say Canadian French is quite different from the French actually spoken in France. I wouldn't risk it, unless you can find said words in a dictionary?
    2) At school we say no more than 300-ish (although this might differ with your exam board), in case of repetition/rambling . I have heard of some cases where they've gotten away with more.
    3) Lots of (correct) tenses; present, perfect, imperfect, future, conditional - possibly pluperfect or other perfect tenses, or subjunctive. Higher level grammar points help a lot too.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of grades, you need at least 200 words for a C grade, and 250 words minimum for an A*. I don't recall there being a maximum word count but chances are you keep it concise and don't waffle you'll be fine. Again, more about quality than quantity, since 250 isn't really that much in the scheme of things and that'll get you an A*. As for French Canadian it's similar to compare to British English and American English, and since the exam board is British it'll no doubt want 'proper' French, so as annoying as I'm sure it is try to avoid any French Candian language. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    There isn't A word count for AQA writing (however for speaking, you must not exceed six minutes) but I wouldn't think you need to go to overboard. I wrote one and 3/4 pages and got an A*. Things that will help you get an A*. Modal verbs (vouloir, Pouvoir and Devoir), a variety of tenses (conditional, pluperfect and conditional perfect really impress the examiners), impersonal phrases such as il faut, and il vaudrait mieux, comparitives using plus and moins, and maybe even some direct object pronouns like J'adore ca parce que... I hope you do well, and I hope this has helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisadempsey)
    Hey
    I'm writing my French controlled assessment on Monday and I have a few questions:
    1) Will using Canadian French affect my grade? (my family is from Quebec and as a result I've picked up a few words)
    2) Is there a maximum word count?
    3) Any tips on how to get an A*?
    Thanks
    As long as you don't put too many tabernac' it should be ok.

The differences between Québécois and French are mostly in colloquial speech, and slang. Formal Québécois is roughly the same as French.

If you have questions, post them in the French society: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=524539

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.