Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A bit of background. I had health problems through school which caused me to go 55% deaf. I struggled with social aspects and took a step back from everything. It's pretty difficult to interact when you can't hear. As a result I have no friends so I will consider myself socially behind.

Since university, jobs and social clubs, I've managed to gain some of the missing skills being forced into situations I wouldn't normally put myself in and now I wear hearing aids, I have more confidence and am catching up on my social skills.

I am part of a social club and I get a long with the guys there very well; I have met a lot of acquaintances. Although I don't do so well with the girls. They have somehow :confused: figured out I don't like to hug. I've never said I don't like it so they must of figured out because I don't launch into hug mode on greeting but in my head I'm equally not going to hug every girl I meet. What happens if I do and they don't like that and think it is very forward and get offended. Although I'm not keen on hugging either I over think it. It ends up to be an awkward mess

There was also a situation where we worked in groups and a group member would of had to invade your personal space. It was a girl. A girl that I really liked too. She said oh sorry I'm a bit close I won't ... and I said ok. Any other normal guy would of loved it and said ok. Although I'm more curious how she along with others figured out I might not like it.

Where am I going wrong am I giving off bad body language? I don't want to be like hugging and kissing every girl; well I do really I do but I don't want to be perceived as trying to hit on or flirting.

Let it come naturally, the worst thing a person can do to attract anyone is changing their personality. It's not fun for both parties.

Just live and be happy, and eventually you'll find a girl who will push your personal space a little bit more, but you just have to stick it out and continue socializing with others and talking to people.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2015
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.