Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is the moto G 2014 a popular smartphone with sixth formers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just asking because i want a new phone,this phone has been recommended to me since its available at my budget of £140(i could probably get £60 more from my dad).Any good phones you recommend i get at that price-anything more than £200 is pushing it? I currently have a samsung galaxy Y so i need an upgrade since im in 6th form and i keep getting teased by my friends...

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of it.

Personally I'd recommend an iPhone 4S 8GB, Carphone Warehouse sells it for £199.99 on Pay As You Go. (I'm assuming you're not on contract)

ReputationRep:
    I would get the Moto G over the iPhone 4S 10 times out of 10 because its more modern and will be supported much longer comparatively. It's a decent smartphone with a good 720p display, decent Snapdragon 400 SoC, near stock version of Android so there's little bloat and its pretty affordable. If you want a smartphone that can get the job done, the Moto G is a real good choice, especially the LTE version. I haven't heard much about the battery nor have I looked at the build quality specifics but I hear good things about it.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. It was the Blackberry when I was last in sixth form back in 2011 just getting replaced by the iPhone.

I always had an Android because I liked it for technical reasons. Everyone else use to see me as different I didn't exactly get teased though. That's a bit drastic for just your phone or are you confusing it with playing/joking around with friends I got that.

Then more and more people got Android, it is the market leader. Then I went to the Samsung Note and got laughed at in a jokey/friendly way though as it such as big phone now because of the the iPhone Plus it's now normal.

Go with what you want not the trend. If your friends really do nastily tease you about just a phone, they are not friends.

If you're getting teased about the phone you have then maybe you're with the wrong people?

I have the 2013 version and well it does the job and I love it The only downside is the camera I guess, but I'm not too fussed because I rarely use it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    If you're getting teased about the phone you have then maybe you're with the wrong people?

I have the 2013 version and well it does the job and I love it The only downside is the camera I guess, but I'm not too fussed because I rarely use it
    Generally if you're on a budget, you don't get fussed about things like the camera honestly. It's about the phone getting what you need to be done and then some and the Moto G lands nicely in that spot as you say. I've owned various smartphones in my life, I used to own 2 Blackberry OS 7 phones back in the day, then an S3 which had a meh camera but I loved Android and then I took the plunge with the iPhone 6 which I am loving. I've been all over the place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    Just asking because i want a new phone,this phone has been recommended to me since its available at my budget of £140(i could probably get £60 more from my dad).Any good phones you recommend i get at that price-anything more than £200 is pushing it? I currently have a samsung galaxy Y so i need an upgrade since im in 6th form and i keep getting teased by my friends...
    I'm just going to reiterate what I've told you in the other thread- the Moto G is a great phone. It is one of the best reviewed and best selling phones of the last two years, and easily the top in both categories for all non-flagship phones. Spec for spec it is as good or better than anything else you can buy for under £150 (first hand) and there is virtually nothing for under £200 better than it either. The screen is great, it's fast, it looks good, you can customise the software, you can put different back covers on it, for its price there are virtually zero drawbacks and virtually zero reasons to choose other less capable handsets over it. If your friends are, with all due respect, shallow enough to tease you over your phone of all things, if the Moto G gets you teased then so will any other phone you could choose over it, because they're all worse save for maybe having a slightly more recognisable brand name plastered on the front.

If you don't like it, buy an older but more powerful HTC/Samsung/LG/Sony/Apple ex-flagship second hand. You'll probably be able to get something like a HTC one M7 or Galaxy S4 for under £200, hopefully your mates won't tease you for buying second hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuitarWizard)
    Probably not. It was the Blackberry when I was last in sixth form back in 2011 just getting replaced by the iPhone.

I always had an Android because I liked it for technical reasons. Everyone else use to see me as different I didn't exactly get teased though. That's a bit drastic for just your phone or are you confusing it with playing/joking around with friends I got that.

Then more and more people got Android, it is the market leader. Then I went to the Samsung Note and got laughed at in a jokey/friendly way though as it such as big phone now because of the the iPhone Plus it's now normal.

Go with what you want not the trend. If your friends really do nastily tease you about just a phone, they are not friends.
    I don't get why someone would tease someone over a phone. Maybe they may criticise it if its just a bad phone outright and has no redeeming qualities but the Moto G would never fall into that category. I guess the OP's friends don't realise that not everyone has the money to go out and buy the flash new flagship phone on the market and phone's, compared to laptops and desktops, are more expensive than they should be and anyone who pulls at the miniaturisation of the technology into such a small form can walk out of here now because any iFixit report will tell you how cost pinching many smartphones really are and how they aren't worth their salt. I get that the R&D is costly but the manufacturing is damn cheap, especially being made in China and Taiwan amongst places

ReputationRep:
    If it's really getting you this worked up, perhaps you should find some other people to hang around with :lol:

The Moto G can do all the regular smartphone stuff pretty well, and is a better phone than other similarly priced Androids. For some reasons it can be advantageous to have the same phone as your friends, e.g if your friends use iPhones then there's iMessage, FaceTime and being able to share chargers between each other. However if you get something else it's not like you'll be left out, everyone has cross platform messaging apps too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I'm just going to reiterate what I've told you in the other thread- the Moto G is a great phone. It is one of the best reviewed and best selling phones of the last two years, and easily the top in both categories for all non-flagship phones. Spec for spec it is as good or better than anything else you can buy for under £150 (first hand) and there is virtually nothing for under £200 better than it either. The screen is great, it's fast, it looks good, you can customise the software, you can put different back covers on it, for its price there are virtually zero drawbacks and virtually zero reasons to choose other less capable handsets over it. If your friends are, with all due respect, shallow enough to tease you over your phone of all things, if the Moto G gets you teased then so will any other phone you could choose over it, because they're all worse save for maybe having a slightly more recognisable brand name plastered on the front.

If you don't like it, buy an older but more powerful HTC/Samsung/LG/Sony/Apple ex-flagship second hand. You'll probably be able to get something like a HTC one M7 or Galaxy S4 for under £200, hopefully your mates won't tease you for buying second hand.
    Credit where credits due. You hit the nail on the head here really. The Moto G is quite frankly a fantastic phone. It gives you all the main things you need(enough RAM-2GB, a decent camera(not the best but oh well), a good display, a good SoC with the S400 chip. Its a good phone, simple as. I think its ridiculous to mock someone over a phone to be honest when the money could be spent on a more powerful laptop or desktop to go along with the Moto G as a case in point example, then you can laugh at them that they have just a puny phone thats a bit better I'm lucky though in the respect I own a fair bit of high end technology but I remember using the then high end S3 and it did everything I needed though the battery was meh, the Moto G is basically that and really, if I hadn't been offered an upgrade to the iPhone 6, I would have stayed with that because it met all my needs

ReputationRep:
    is there a front camera with the moto g? and do you not get a charger?

ReputationRep:
    is there a front camera with the moto g? and do you not get a charger?
    Yes it has a front camera. If I remember correctly it comes with a USB charge cable but not the wall adaptor. The charger you use with your Galaxy Y will work perfectly fine with it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I've got one and I wouldn't say it's common but it is a pretty good phone for the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I've got one and I wouldn't say it's common but it is a pretty good phone for the money.

how old are you? is it your main phone? where did you get i from?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    how old are you? is it your main phone? where did you get i from?
    17, and yes it's my main (only) phone. I got it from my parents as a Christmas present but I think they got it from Amazon, where you can get it unlocked to take your existing SIM (well, my current SIM was too big and being T-Mobile a funny shape so the phone shop had to cut it down with a pair of scissors but...). It's dual-SIM actually so if you go abroad for any length of time you can put in a local pay-as-you-go SIM and not pay roaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    17, and yes it's my main (only) phone. I got it from my parents as a Christmas present but I think they got it from Amazon, where you can get it unlocked to take your existing SIM (well, my current SIM was too big and being T-Mobile a funny shape so the phone shop had to cut it down with a pair of scissors but...). It's dual-SIM actually so if you go abroad for any length of time you can put in a local pay-as-you-go SIM and not pay roaming.
    i want to be able to download snapchat,facebook,whatsapp,surf the web and go on youtube and play a game or two without get the stupid insufficient storage message.I could spend around £150-200 is the moto G the best possible phone you reccomen i can get at that price? any phones i can get which are from the brands:iphone,lumia,samsung?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i want to be able to download snapchat,facebook,whatsapp,surf the web and go on youtube and play a game or two without get the stupid insufficient storage message.I could spend around £150-200 is the moto G the best possible phone you reccomen i can get at that price? any phones i can get which are from the brands:iphone,lumia,samsung?
    The MotoG will do that. I think iPhones, Lumias, Samsungs etc. that are on a similar level are slightly more expensive because of the desirability of the brand. They might well be under £200, but I haven't done a tonne of research.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't consider Lumias at all, Windows Phone hardly has any users and isn't widely supported by developers. There's no Snapchat on Windows Phone for example, and it definitely isn't going to win you the popularity contest. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    You shouldn't consider Lumias at all, Windows Phone hardly has any users and isn't widely supported by developers. There's no Snapchat on Windows Phone for example, and it definitely isn't going to win you the popularity contest. :lol:

what will then?

ReputationRep:
    what will then?
    Moto G (like everyone's told you already) is the best Android phone in this price range. It can do all the standard smartphone stuff well and can run all the popular apps.

If all your friends have iPhones then there are some advantages to having an iPhone too, but they're more expensive.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 15, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.