The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
They were rejected the first time round after interviews.

Yes but doesn't that mean they were put on a waiting list?
Original post by Alisahhh1998

Huh?? They, like you, were rejected after interviews. I don't know where a waiting list comes into it!

They reapplied the following year and got a place.

I don't think you and I ever understand each other on here. We go back and forth a lot :teehee: :h:
For everyone who is applying for accommodation? Which are you picking?
I was told that glen eyre is the closet but what about highfield accommodation.
Any advice?
Reply 1263

It doesn't matter how they did on their first application. Whether they got rejected pre or post interview, or whether they got onto the waiting list or not. The gap year lets you improve yourself and your application so you're in a better standing, and that is what can give you a better chance. Nothing to do with how far you got in your first try (if I'm understanding your question correctly).
Reply 1264
Original post by musictutor
Any advice?

What are the choices? have they been sent out yet?
Original post by Lazy-
It doesn't matter how they did on their first application. Whether they got rejected pre or post interview, or whether they got onto the waiting list or not. The gap year lets you improve yourself and your application so you're in a better standing, and that is what can give you a better chance. Nothing to do with how far you got in your first try (if I'm understanding your question correctly).

The problem is I thought I did well, I really don't know where I went wrong so that's why I was checking if I didn't do good in my first year is there any point taking a gap year, only to get let down again
Reply 1266
The problem is I thought I did well, I really don't know where I went wrong so that's why I was checking if I didn't do good in my first year is there any point taking a gap year, only to get let down again

Getting a rejection or not getting onto the waiting list doesn't necessarily mean you did poorly. The standards could have been particularly high, or perhaps there is something you've missed. I would say reflect on the interview and group task, what sort of answers did you give, how did you conduct yourself, etc (though I don't advice you to obsess over it, exams are much more important). Use that introspection to find things to improve for next time.

Whether you should take a gap year or not is a question only you can answer, tough as it is. I was in the same shoes, didn't get any offers the first time (didn't apply to Soton) and took a gap year. Wasn't an easy choice but I decided to tough it out for a year because I thought medicine was worth another go. Luckily I got my offer, and so of course I am going to tell you to take a gap year and try again. Reality is that it is a risk (if you have an offer from your 5th choice) but you've got to make your mind up about whether it's one worth taking.

If it helps, I do remember thinking at the time of my rejections, that I didn't want to do medicine after all, that it wasn't what I wanted as my career anyway, etc. Which wasn't true. Getting rejected sucks and your thinking isn't always the clearest at the time. Give it a few weeks, maybe a month. Sit on it. You don't have to make your mind up right away after all.
Any advice?

Highfield isn't on Highfield Campus and is reserved for Humanities students.

Glen green, near Highfield, not near social activities
Wessex near sports and Highfield but further from hospital. Near pubs/clubs/shops
Gateway - brand new, next to Wessex
City centre - near transport, near town, bus to Highield and Hosp - free bus pass with halls
Archers - about 40 min walk from hosp, short bus from highfield.
Chamberlain - cheapest. Part of Glen.

They're all much of a muchness. Everyone is usually happy :yes:

Original post by Lazy-

PRSOM. You are very very right with both your posts.

Original post by abbzzz
What are the choices? have they been sent out yet?

Get on to the Souhampton Accommodation website :Yes:
Original post by Lazy-
Getting a rejection or not getting onto the waiting list doesn't necessarily mean you did poorly. The standards could have been particularly high, or perhaps there is something you've missed. I would say reflect on the interview and group task, what sort of answers did you give, how did you conduct yourself, etc (though I don't advice you to obsess over it, exams are much more important). Use that introspection to find things to improve for next time.

Whether you should take a gap year or not is a question only you can answer, tough as it is. I was in the same shoes, didn't get any offers the first time (didn't apply to Soton) and took a gap year. Wasn't an easy choice but I decided to tough it out for a year because I thought medicine was worth another go. Luckily I got my offer, and so of course I am going to tell you to take a gap year and try again. Reality is that it is a risk (if you have an offer from your 5th choice) but you've got to make your mind up about whether it's one worth taking.

If it helps, I do remember thinking at the time of my rejections, that I didn't want to do medicine after all, that it wasn't what I wanted as my career anyway, etc. Which wasn't true. Getting rejected sucks and your thinking isn't always the clearest at the time. Give it a few weeks, maybe a month. Sit on it. You don't have to make your mind up right away after all.

Thank you so much, I think this has helped me to make my desician and congradulations on your offer
Is anyone considering the Mayflower halls of residence?
Highfield isn't on Highfield Campus and is reserved for Humanities students.

Glen green, near Highfield, not near social activities
Wessex near sports and Highfield but further from hospital. Near pubs/clubs/shops
Gateway - brand new, next to Wessex
City centre - near transport, near town, bus to Highield and Hosp - free bus pass with halls
Archers - about 40 min walk from hosp, short bus from highfield.
Chamberlain - cheapest. Part of Glen.

They're all much of a muchness. Everyone is usually happy :yes:

PRSOM. You are very very right with both your posts.

Get on to the Souhampton Accommodation website :Yes:

Quite a few medics in BM5 year 1 are in Highfield Halls!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleDonkey
Quite a few medics in BM5 year 1 are in Highfield Halls!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh! That's interesting. I wonder if they've changed that then or if it was a one off. :holmes:
Reply 1272
For everyone who is applying for accommodation? Which are you picking?I was told that glen eyre is the closet but what about highfield accommodation.Any advice?
Apparently Wessex Lane, Glen Eyre and Mayflower are the biggest hence most social halls.Glen Eyre is closest to the Highfield campus, Wessex lane is about a 20-minute walk and Mayflower is newer than both but closer to the city centre than the uni. Looking at prices, Wessex Lane seems to be cheapest. I've been looking at pictures of the rooms but I don't know what I think about them to be honest. I'd want a self-catered en-suite room and if any current students or offer holders (based on research) know whether the rooms are comfortable and whether they're all decent that would be great to knowI kinda just want to know what the ensuite bathrooms and shared kitchens are like and whether you would you advise Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane? Distance and the look of the room/flat are what I'm thinking about most because I don't want to get homesick lol
Original post by Yuri3
Apparently Wessex Lane, Glen Eyre and Mayflower are the biggest hence most social halls.Glen Eyre is closest to the Highfield campus, Wessex lane is about a 20-minute walk and Mayflower is newer than both but closer to the city centre than the uni. Looking at prices, Wessex Lane seems to be cheapest. I've been looking at pictures of the rooms but I don't know what I think about them to be honest. I'd want a self-catered en-suite room and if any current students or offer holders (based on research) know whether the rooms are comfortable and whether they're all decent that would be great to knowI kinda just want to know what the ensuite bathrooms and shared kitchens are like and whether you would you advise Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane? Distance and the look of the room/flat are what I'm thinking about most because I don't want to get homesick lol

They're all pretty similar to be honest and standard halls. There is nothing massively special but they're comfortable enough.

Glen = closest to highfield and hospital
Wessex = more social, more likely to get a seat on the bus.
Shared kitchens are okay as they're cleaned for you. They're big enough to house everyone as long as you're not all cooking at once.

It feels really really important at the moment but when you arrive, most people are happy wherever they are.
Original post by Yuri3

Hey :smile: It's very exciting looking at all this stuff but a bit of a pain.

Everyone is spread around realistically anyway so whever you are you should have friends who are about :smile:

Neo's given you the more practical side in terms of location.

There are modern more refurbished ones in both Glen and Wessex. Obviously Mayflower being the most recently built.

Glen: Bus is fairly frequent but can easily walk it. I lived in Glen and would defo advise it for convenience and you can still make a 9am waking up 20 mins before the beginning. .

Wessex: Buses are a lot more frequent because its a further distant But, its not as close so for impatient bums like me it's nice to know.

Ensuite vs Non Ensuite

You aren't guaranteed ensuite just by asking for it be forewarned! Anyway...

Ensuite rooms are usually smaller because the bathroom/ shower is contained in the space.

Non Ensuite I had fairly neat flatmates so it wasn't a problem not. In Glen you don't share with too many other people (our ratio was about 1:3 as there were 6 people in the flatbut in Wessex there are up to 20 people in a flat (although you would get more bathrooms)

If you want to come down to southampton and have an accomodation tour and highfield campus tour (you would be fine without it but its a nice day out and its not medicine specific) then check out this link and see.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/about/visit/other-ways-to-visit.page#campus-tours
(edited 8 years ago)
This answer might be above so apologies for not reading the discussion, but, does anyone know if you should be applying for accomodation if you are on the Waiting List please?
Original post by Fahim999
This answer might be above so apologies for not reading the discussion, but, does anyone know if you should be applying for accomodation if you are on the Waiting List please?

Scroll to the top of the page
Blue bar above first post
Tools
Search
"accommodation"

but :yes:.

EDIT: The more I think the more I wonder if you need to have a student number to apply :erm:.

Might be worth asking. It's not 1st come first serve so it should matter tooooo much. Depends when you hear.
(edited 8 years ago)
Scroll to the top of the page
Blue bar above first post
Tools
Search
"accommodation"

but :yes:.

EDIT: The more I think the more I wonder if you need to have a student number to apply :erm:.

Might be worth asking. It's not 1st come first serve so it should matter tooooo much. Depends when you hear.

Ok thank you, I appreciate your help. If I'm assuming right also, if any of us are lucky enough to get an offer, there would be support provided or available in doing a switch external to UCAS? Also in terms of student finance etc
Ok thank you, I appreciate your help. If I'm assuming right also, if any of us are lucky enough to get an offer, there would be support provided or available in doing a switch external to UCAS? Also in terms of student finance etc

& despite any firm places accepted onto

Not really but it isnt hard. You just phone SF. Phone the uni you've firmed and ask to be released, and then wait. They'll tell you what to do :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest