The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter University Accommodation

Hi everyone,
I've just put Exeter as my firm choice (good choice?) for next year and am now looking at possible accommodation and need help!
I want a self-catered room, and am not sure whether it's worth getting an en-suite room? Lafrowda seems to be first choice at the moment; but want a more well rounded information!
Thanks in advanced :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smjh10
Hi everyone,
I've just put Exeter as my firm choice (good choice?) for next year and am now looking at possible accommodation and need help!
I want a self-catered room, and am not sure whether it's worth getting an en-suite room? Lafrowda seems to be first choice at the moment; but want a more well rounded information!
Thanks in advanced :smile:

Exeter is an excellent uni but as you have not stated subject and where else you applied it is difficult to know if it is a good choice. as long as you are comfortable there it is a really good uni so I cant see it not being a good choice. whether the cost of getting an en suite room is worthwhile only you can decide taking into account your individual circumstances. st germans do en suites and are right by lafrowda so would be a good alternative for en suite accommodation
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Lafrowda is on the 'best' side of the uni if you want to avoid a steep uphill walk each morning. Cornwall House is nearby and it's an easy walk into town.

It's personal preference and cost of ensuite which you need to consider ...
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Exeter is an excellent uni but as you have not stated subject and where else you applied it is difficult to know if it is a good choice. as long as you are comfortable there it is a really good uni so I cant see it not being a good choice. whether the cost of getting an en suite room is worthwhile only you can decide taking into account your individual circumstances. st germans do en suites and are right by lafrowda so would be a good alternative for en suite accommodation

Ahh I'm going to do French and International Relations (or may be swapping to History and International Relations)!
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Lafrowda is on the 'best' side of the uni if you want to avoid a steep uphill walk each morning. Cornwall House is nearby and it's an easy walk into town.

It's personal preference and cost of ensuite which you need to consider ...

Okay thank you! Would you say Lafrowda is probably the nicest accommodation? It's recently been done up hasn't it?
The 'old' Lafrowda has been demolished or upgraded - I've not seen the new rooms.

I was there a few years back so I was commenting on the 'convenience' aspect of the location. I did visit the campus last summer and the new student centre is stunning - the new Sports facilites are amazing too.

Which subject are you hoping to study?
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1

The 'old' Lafrowda has been demolished or upgraded - I've not seen the new rooms.

I was there a few years back so I was commenting on the 'convenience' aspect of the location. I did visit the campus last summer and the new student centre is stunning - the new Sports facilites are amazing too.

Which subject are you hoping to study?

Oh I see that'll be good thank you! I thought the same! I'm thinking of doing either French or International Relations or History and International Relations with a year abroad - what did you do? :smile:
Most of the History lectures were in Queens which is near Devonshire House; but you really don't want to be walking up the hill from Mardon, Birks or Duryard ...

I studied Maths but have friends who did History and another who did French and German.
Most of the History lectures were in Queens which is near Devonshire House; but you really don't want to be walking up the hill from Mardon, Birks or Duryard ...

I studied Maths but have friends who did History and another who did French and German.

Why do people have such an issue with Cardiac hill?

Unless you have absolutely zero fitness or about the same size as a small car, it's not even vaguely difficult to walk up. The only time it's a problem is if it snows in winter, but even then so what, you'll have to take a detour that adds a couple of minutes to your journey.

If people are genuinely too lazy to walk up a bit of a hill to get to campus then bloody hell do I worry for their long term health.
You try getting up the hill for a 09:00 ... it's not fun. It is often slippery and wet in the morning.

There is a walk from Lafrowda and the other side of the campus.
You try getting up the hill for a 09:00 ... it's not fun. It is often slippery and wet in the morning.

There is a walk from Lafrowda and the other side of the campus.

I was in Birks in my first year and frequently had to walk up that hill to be on campus for 8am, while carrying a 20kg cricket kit bag.

It's not even slightly bad.
So why is it called 'cardiac hill'?

It's up to the OP to chose whether to take my advice or not.
Reply 12
Original post by mackemforever
I was in Birks in my first year and frequently had to walk up that hill to be on campus for 8am, while carrying a 20kg cricket kit bag.

It's not even slightly bad.

Any advice on your behalf of which accommodation to go for?
Reply 13
So why is it called 'cardiac hill'?

It's up to the OP to chose whether to take my advice or not.

Your advice makes a lot of sense! I'm very sold on Lafrowda - its such a shame though that the standard rooms seem to contrast so much to the ensuite rooms. If the standard rooms were of the same quality as the ensuite rooms minus the actual ensuite I would have no problems at all!
Is holland hall really as bad as people say? Am I right in thinking it's the best catered accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by elhm1800
Is holland hall really as bad as people say? Am I right in thinking it's the best catered accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you starting next year too?
Original post by smjh10
Are you starting next year too?

I'm firming Exeter so hopefully! ...what about you?

Edit: having just noticed the use of 'too' in your question i realise my question has now been answered:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
I'm firming Exeter so hopefully! ...what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I've just put it as firm too! What are you planning on studying?
Original post by smjh10
Same! I've just put it as firm too! What are you planning on studying?

Arabic! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

I've got a place for French and International Relations - but am thinking of swapping to History! ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest