Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I've just put Exeter as my firm choice (good choice?) for next year and am now looking at possible accommodation and need help!
    I want a self-catered room, and am not sure whether it's worth getting an en-suite room? Lafrowda seems to be first choice at the moment; but want a more well rounded information!
    Thanks in advanced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smjh10)
    Hi everyone,
    I've just put Exeter as my firm choice (good choice?) for next year and am now looking at possible accommodation and need help!
    I want a self-catered room, and am not sure whether it's worth getting an en-suite room? Lafrowda seems to be first choice at the moment; but want a more well rounded information!
    Thanks in advanced
    Exeter is an excellent uni but as you have not stated subject and where else you applied it is difficult to know if it is a good choice. as long as you are comfortable there it is a really good uni so I cant see it not being a good choice. whether the cost of getting an en suite room is worthwhile only you can decide taking into account your individual circumstances. st germans do en suites and are right by lafrowda so would be a good alternative for en suite accommodation

ReputationRep:
    Lafrowda is on the 'best' side of the uni if you want to avoid a steep uphill walk each morning. Cornwall House is nearby and it's an easy walk into town.

It's personal preference and cost of ensuite which you need to consider ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    Exeter is an excellent uni but as you have not stated subject and where else you applied it is difficult to know if it is a good choice. as long as you are comfortable there it is a really good uni so I cant see it not being a good choice. whether the cost of getting an en suite room is worthwhile only you can decide taking into account your individual circumstances. st germans do en suites and are right by lafrowda so would be a good alternative for en suite accommodation
    Ahh I'm going to do French and International Relations (or may be swapping to History and International Relations)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Lafrowda is on the 'best' side of the uni if you want to avoid a steep uphill walk each morning. Cornwall House is nearby and it's an easy walk into town.

It's personal preference and cost of ensuite which you need to consider ...
    Okay thank you! Would you say Lafrowda is probably the nicest accommodation? It's recently been done up hasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    The 'old' Lafrowda has been demolished or upgraded - I've not seen the new rooms.

I was there a few years back so I was commenting on the 'convenience' aspect of the location. I did visit the campus last summer and the new student centre is stunning - the new Sports facilites are amazing too.

Which subject are you hoping to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    The 'old' Lafrowda has been demolished or upgraded - I've not seen the new rooms.

I was there a few years back so I was commenting on the 'convenience' aspect of the location. I did visit the campus last summer and the new student centre is stunning - the new Sports facilites are amazing too.

Which subject are you hoping to study?
    Oh I see that'll be good thank you! I thought the same! I'm thinking of doing either French or International Relations or History and International Relations with a year abroad - what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Most of the History lectures were in Queens which is near Devonshire House; but you really don't want to be walking up the hill from Mardon, Birks or Duryard ...

I studied Maths but have friends who did History and another who did French and German.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the History lectures were in Queens which is near Devonshire House; but you really don't want to be walking up the hill from Mardon, Birks or Duryard ...

I studied Maths but have friends who did History and another who did French and German.
    Why do people have such an issue with Cardiac hill?

Unless you have absolutely zero fitness or about the same size as a small car, it's not even vaguely difficult to walk up. The only time it's a problem is if it snows in winter, but even then so what, you'll have to take a detour that adds a couple of minutes to your journey.

If people are genuinely too lazy to walk up a bit of a hill to get to campus then bloody hell do I worry for their long term health.

ReputationRep:
    You try getting up the hill for a 09:00 ... it's not fun. It is often slippery and wet in the morning.

There is a walk from Lafrowda and the other side of the campus.

ReputationRep:
    You try getting up the hill for a 09:00 ... it's not fun. It is often slippery and wet in the morning.

There is a walk from Lafrowda and the other side of the campus.
    I was in Birks in my first year and frequently had to walk up that hill to be on campus for 8am, while carrying a 20kg cricket kit bag.

It's not even slightly bad.

ReputationRep:
    So why is it called 'cardiac hill'?

It's up to the OP to chose whether to take my advice or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    I was in Birks in my first year and frequently had to walk up that hill to be on campus for 8am, while carrying a 20kg cricket kit bag.

It's not even slightly bad.

Any advice on your behalf of which accommodation to go for?

ReputationRep:
    So why is it called 'cardiac hill'?

It's up to the OP to chose whether to take my advice or not.
    Your advice makes a lot of sense! I'm very sold on Lafrowda - its such a shame though that the standard rooms seem to contrast so much to the ensuite rooms. If the standard rooms were of the same quality as the ensuite rooms minus the actual ensuite I would have no problems at all!

ReputationRep:
    Is holland hall really as bad as people say? Am I right in thinking it's the best catered accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elhm1800)
    Is holland hall really as bad as people say? Am I right in thinking it's the best catered accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you starting next year too?

ReputationRep:
    Are you starting next year too?
    I'm firming Exeter so hopefully! ...what about you?

Edit: having just noticed the use of 'too' in your question i realise my question has now been answered:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm firming Exeter so hopefully! ...what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same! I've just put it as firm too! What are you planning on studying?

ReputationRep:
    Same! I've just put it as firm too! What are you planning on studying?
    Arabic! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Arabic! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got a place for French and International Relations - but am thinking of swapping to History! ahaha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.