Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hey Everyone,
    So, I am an ordained minister, by an American church (legally recognised, with status proven in and out of the US, though I can't find anything definitive for the UK)
    They issue "honorary and non-accredited" certificates, in both Dr of Divinity and Dr of Metaphysics.
    My question is simple, though I fear the answer will be incredibly complex.
    Would these certificates be grounds to (legally) append doctor as a pronominal, or Dr as a title?
    The church says that each certificate is a "life experience degree".

    Are these legally valid? Also, is being ordained by them legal grounds to use religious titles issued by the church, outside of the US?

    Technically, in England you can call yourself anything you like under common law....BUT such honorary titles as described are not academically valid in the UK no matter your life experience. To call yourself Dr or Rev Dr in the UK would be misleading and if used to get a job would in fact see you sacked if found out and possibly even prosecuted for fraud. It got you a nice lunch and photo with your bishop, but no other benefits have accrued since.
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.