x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am definitely doing:
    maths
    english
    triple science
    religious studies
    german

I am having a pretty hard time choosing humanities.
    I want to go into law in the future, as of right now.
    Therefore, I'm going to take history and I really enjoy it anyway.
    I think I also want to take business studies but then I also kinda want to take geography. I find parts of geography really difficult like the basics(maps scales) but other case studies, population and all that stuff interesting. Would it be too much for me to do the three?

I am also debating whether to do computing, food tech or maybe art. I find it computing so boring but I always do really well in it.
    I like foodtech. In the practical exams I do well but not in the theory exams.
    People say art is soooooooooooo hard and soooooooooo time consuming and even though I'm not too great at drawing, I've been enjoying art and doing average. I love photography but that's within the art GCSE.
    Which one should I do?

thanks

//I'm new here, Hi//

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liefay)
    I am definitely doing:
    maths
    english
    triple science
    religious studies
    german

I am having a pretty hard time choosing humanities.
    I want to go into law in the future, as of right now.
    Therefore, I'm going to take history and I really enjoy it anyway.
    I think I also want to take business studies but then I also kinda want to take geography. I find parts of geography really difficult like the basics(maps scales) but other case studies, population and all that stuff interesting. Would it be too much for me to do the three?

I am also debating whether to do computing, food tech or maybe art. I find it computing so boring but I always do really well in it.
    I like foodtech. In the practical exams I do well but not in the theory exams.
    People say art is soooooooooooo hard and soooooooooo time consuming and even though I'm not too great on drawing, I've been enjoying art and doing average. I love photography but that's within the art GCSE.
    Which one should I do?

thanks

//I'm new here, Hi//
    Doing all three would not benefit you here much. If you aren't enjoying Geography that much, I'd suggest just doing Business Studies.

Food Tech is not much use to you unless you want to do some kind of food tech course in the future. I would say Computing will probably get more interesting at GCSE, and depending on how good the other students are in your school who are taking Art, it can be extremely hard to get an A* in Art. Marks in art are given according to the student who is A* material and everyone else is graded against that level. It's very time consuming and can take up a lot of time that you'd much rather be revising in when it comes to summer exams.

Personally, I'd choose Computing since you say you're not too great at drawing but it really depends on what you want to do later and what you enjoy. Since you want to do law, doing either of the three would not make a great deal of difference.

ReputationRep:
    How many GCSEs do you want/have to do?

If you enjoy art, take it. Like you said, it's not just drawing - you can include photography and textiles into your GCSE art work, and I know that's what swayed a lot of my friends into taking it. Food Tech, from what I've heard, is theory based: the exam is theory, and the only real cooking is for your coursework, and even then, the majority of your marks are for your analysis (the exam won't board won't taste your food!) Computing was a new GCSE for my year so can't really comment on that: it seems useful, especially with the skills shortage in IT.

I'd recommend take the subjects you enjoy. I can tell you from personal experience, doing a subject you absolutely detest is torture. For law, even at A Level, there are no 'set' subjects required: the emphasis is on the grades, not the subjects in particular.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.