Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I got promoted last year to team leader and I thought I would make a good job of it as I got selected by other team leaders. First I was nervous but then settled in.

Right with me being a new supervisor, there was some enviousness as people didnt listen to when I asked them to do something, they would stand there and argue claiming that there better and it makes me look bad too. It wasnt my approach and then another team leader came in and settled it. Later they had meeting a utter lie was said about me that I didnt understand the evacuation procedure which is just crap as I do.

Now some of the staff try and make me look bad by asking do thing which is petty, but if something was to happen then they would point the finger like children and blame me, bearing in mind we supposed to be a team here.

Some staff have also highlighted issues of racism, Im asian however if I tell someone to do something they sometimes refuse and when a white person goes up to them they do it straight away.

I am getting used to the situation but is there anything I could do to make my job easier ? Taking it to further management is questionable as it looks like I dont know how to do my job properly.

ReputationRep:
    I would speak to your boss, and tell him you're unlucky, sounds like a rotten situation, maybe with time they will accept you're their boss. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew657Thomas)
    I would speak to your boss, and tell him you're unlucky, sounds like a rotten situation, maybe with time they will accept you're their boss. Good luck!
    I'll try that my boss is a little aware of the situation and he himself said some are racist, but I havent spoken to him about them intentially trying to make me look bad.

But what pricks some staff are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew657Thomas)
    What if I was to get demoted due to this, is there anything I could do ?

ReputationRep:
    That is totally unacceptable!

If you suspect that your colleagues are being racist then you need to bring it up with your manager. If your manager doesn't do anything then you need to go to HR. It won't make you look like you're not doing your job properly, just because you are a team leader doesn't mean you have to put up with bullying. Try to note down times/dates and comments that people have made to you, so you are able to bring some evidence to the meeting.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbie-here)
    That is totally unacceptable!

If you suspect that your colleagues are being racist then you need to bring it up with your manager. If your manager doesn't do anything then you need to go to HR. It won't make you look like you're not doing your job properly, just because you are a team leader doesn't mean you have to put up with bullying. Try to note down times/dates and comments that people have made to you, so you are able to bring some evidence to the meeting.

Good luck!
    That happend before and still does occur now, however the reason I didnt post it up with management before was to show I was capable of being a team leader. Otherwise they may have questioned my ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMBCFC)
    That happend before and still does occur now, however the reason I didnt post it up with management before was to show I was capable of being a team leader. Otherwise they may have questioned my ability.
    I understand you want to show you can lead your team. But they're not showing you any respect, you shouldn't have to put up with it at work (no matter if you're a CEO or an apprentice). You sound like you have tried to put up with it for long enough though, they will get a shock if someone gives them a warning about their behavior. If management question your ability to be a team leader after you complain then they don't sound like very good managers! ACAS provide really good advice on what you could do in that situation, and will be able to give you some advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbie-here)
    I understand you want to show you can lead your team. But they're not showing you any respect, you shouldn't have to put up with it at work (no matter if you're a CEO or an apprentice). You sound like you have tried to put up with it for long enough though, they will get a shock if someone gives them a warning about their behavior. If management question your ability to be a team leader after you complain then they don't sound like very good managers! ACAS provide really good advice on what you could do in that situation, and will be able to give you some advice?
    Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.