The Student Room Group

A-Level's for Medical School

Currently considering taking Maths, physics, chemistry and German. Would not taking biology at A-Level put me at a disadvantage when applying to medical schools in the UK?

Thank you
Reply 1
It depends on which medical schools you choose to apply to, as some will accept you if you have Biology AS at grade A and then Chemistry and Physics at A or more at A2. But tbh, you'd be limiting which med schools you can apply to, bearing in mind that the vast majority of applicants would hold Biology A2. Quite a lot of med schools now are making Biology A2 essential. If you don't think you'll get the A at A2 then consider dropping it after AS, but otherwise, I'd definitely take it to full A level :smile: I've applied for medicine this year so feel free to DM me if you've got any questions :smile:
I heard somewhere that Queen Mary want Biology for their Medicine course. Don't know about other unis.
Original post by KieranBickell
Currently considering taking Maths, physics, chemistry and German. Would not taking biology at A-Level put me at a disadvantage when applying to medical schools in the UK?

Thank you

It won't disadvantage you, but, medicine is such a competitive degree. Say, if you apply to Oxford then you definitely WON'T be considered if you don't do biology as an a-level. This is because other students with a greater advantage of being considered will do maths, chemistry, physics AND biology and therefore you won't get an offer for medicine.

If, however, it comes to other universities such as University of Birmingham, then they might consider you. It all depends on how you perform in your AS exams and what your A2 predictions are really. Oh, and also the university's requirements
The entry requirements are here. Its certainly doable, but limits your choices.

Original post by theTeddyBearx
It won't disadvantage you, but, medicine is such a competitive degree. Say, if you apply to Oxford then you definitely WON'T be considered if you don't do biology as an a-level. This is because other students with a greater advantage of being considered will do maths, chemistry, physics AND biology and therefore you won't get an offer for medicine.

Oxford does not actually require biology, whereas Birmingham does.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KieranBickell

Thank you

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to do biology for A-Level? :holmes:

If, however, it comes to other universities such as University of Birmingham, then they might consider you. It all depends on how you perform in your AS exams and what your A2 predictions are really. Oh, and also the university's requirements

To add to what nexttime said above, Birmingham actually require A-Level Biology..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to do biology for A-Level? :holmes:

To add to what nexttime said above, Birmingham actually require A-Level Biology..

Do they? ah, I didn't know, my bad... just take it as a made up example from me to help you understand lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
The entry requirements are here. Its certainly doable, but limits your choices.

Oxford does not actually require biology, whereas Birmingham does.

Okay, I didn't know... but my main point is, medicine is a really competitive course out there... so work hard on getting straight As through your sciences and maths, and when it comes to UCAS, write a top personal statement, get excellent references and A* predictions, and you're GUARANTEED to get ALL 5 university offers for medicine.
GUARANTEED to get ALL 5 university offers for medicine.

I wish. :tongue: (And you can't get 5 offers, the maximum you can get is 4 for Medicine).

IIRC, >60% people didn't get a single place for Medicine last year. Certainly not a guarantee. There are entry tests to do then, interview panels to impress... :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
I wish. :tongue: (And you can't get 5 offers, the maximum you can get is 4 for Medicine).

IIRC, >60% people didn't get a single place for Medicine last year. Certainly not a guarantee. There are entry tests to do then, interview panels to impress... :tongue:

but who said that's not possible to achieve dude? anything is possible, you just gotta put your mind to it and be DEDICATED... think positive also
but who said that's not possible to achieve dude? anything is possible, you just gotta put your mind to it and be DEDICATED... think positive also

No one? :confused:

I was just replying to where you said it was guaranteed, which is not true. I never said it was impossible. :no:
(edited 9 years ago)
No one? :confused:

I was just replying to where you said it was guaranteed, which is not true. I never said it was impossible. :no:

stop looking too deep into things, I'm only trying to encourage you to want to apply for medicine regardless of what the stats say... anyways, are you still thinking of applying for medicine then or what?
stop looking too deep into things, I'm only trying to encourage you to want to apply for medicine regardless of what the stats say... anyways, are you still thinking of applying for medicine then or what?

I'm starting Medical School in October.
I'm starting Medical School in October.

If you don't mind me asking what uni and what are the grade requirements
If you don't mind me asking what uni and what are the grade requirements

I'll reply to you on your profile, I don't want to derail the thread any further. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest