Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bass Guitar Buying Advice wanted watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I've wanted to learn the Bass for a long time and this year I've finally decided to actively do something about it.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to understand which guitar and amp to get but i am stuck at the moment.

The two that I have come across so far that I really like are the Yamaha TRBX304 and the Ibanez SR300. If anyone has any experience with these two, i would really appreciate it.

I went to try both instore but could only try the 5 string version of the yamaha as they didn't have the 4 string version in store. I prefer the Yamaha but that is purely based on instinct and I even think the sound of the Ibanez is nicer (It sounds cleaner and has a higher tone to me - I maybe completely wrong about that but that was my perception).

Any recommendations different from these two would also be appreciated but could you please explain why.

As for amps I really have no clue so any advice is welcome.

Sorry for the essay and thanks in advance for any advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjunior94)
    Hello

I've wanted to learn the Bass for a long time and this year I've finally decided to actively do something about it.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to understand which guitar and amp to get but i am stuck at the moment.

The two that I have come across so far that I really like are the Yamaha TRBX304 and the Ibanez SR300. If anyone has any experience with these two, i would really appreciate it.

I went to try both instore but could only try the 5 string version of the yamaha as they didn't have the 4 string version in store. I prefer the Yamaha but that is purely based on instinct and I even think the sound of the Ibanez is nicer (It sounds cleaner and has a higher tone to me - I maybe completely wrong about that but that was my perception).

Any recommendations different from these two would also be appreciated but could you please explain why.

As for amps I really have no clue so any advice is welcome.

Sorry for the essay and thanks in advance for any advice
    Heya!

To be honest, that's good enough for me. Unless tone is going to be a massive issue for you straight away, go with a guitar you like to play. That's always the best advice really. If you prefer to play a guitar more, you'll more likely play it more! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, first of all congrats!

I brought my first bass 10 years ago, (I'm now 21 and studying bass (jazz, upright & electric) at a conservatoire ) and I never anticipated that.

My advice for choosing gear;

Pick a short scale bass to start off with (unless you have massive hands) they're easier to play and when you get better you could move onto a slight bigger fretboard.
    Don't buy a 5 string. (Not as a starter bass)
    Don't pick a bass on how it looks, (I know I did at 11) my advice would be to go for one of the Squiers (either the jazz or precision bass) good value for money.
    When you're new to bass you have no idea of other basses, (at the time my first ever Westfield seemed amazing) so don't be worried its not a Fender etc.

I'll be honest I don't know much about starter amps but I suggest going into a shop and trying lots of them.

Good luck!
    I think the first several years of my playing were the most fun, I just jammed to RHCP and various funk tracks. (Unfortunatly now my playing is more serious (reading, scales, etc) but I discovered jazz later on and that changed everything. (Have a listen to Art of The Trio Volume one - Brad Mehldau ) Its inspiring.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.