Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have years to go, I'm a first year at uni doing psychology and wondered if anyone had any advice for the future. I'm planning on taking a year out after my degree to get experience to then apply for a doctorate. I don't have anywhere in particular in mind, but there aren't that many places on this list so.

Also, can you apply to more than one uni, since it is so competitive?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emma

Application is through a central clearing where you have the option of electing up to four centres (uni/health authority). I have applied for this current year, just waiting on the shortlisting that should occur in the next month, so my knowledge of the process is recent. I would say it is important to carefully review what each centre is looking for in terms of applicants, some having differing requirements with regard length and type of experience, be that health or research. Some centres have a pre-interview examination. So it's a matter of finding the centre with the requirements that best gel with your skills. That's before you decide, would you wish to study at that particular uni and work for that health authority for some considerable time.

Hope that helps a little

Regards Mark

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful, thanks. I know it's early but I'd rather have a rough idea to focus on and I'm glad I can apply for more than one. Did you take up any volunteering opportunities/work experience before applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaZombie)
    That's really helpful, thanks. I know it's early but I'd rather have a rough idea to focus on and I'm glad I can apply for more than one. Did you take up any volunteering opportunities/work experience before applying?
    For the 12 months prior to the application I was employed as an outreach worker for an autism charity. I've also worked for the NSPCC and am advocate for looked after children. What I'm short of is any postgrad psychological research experience which I think will get me shortlisted out of the process, but who knows :-)

Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaZombie)
    x
    U can apply for 4, Oxford, and Institute of Psychiatry probably are best. But for me they are too far away from Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year of the DClin training at University of Herts, although its not as 'prestigious' as some of the London Unis i think it was the best choice that i made. It's a very small course of 15-16 in each year, so if you have a good cohort it can feel like an extended family. The course team are also lovely. Before I got onto the course I never had any experience of working in the NHS, however i did work as an AP in the private sector. I think quality of work experience and personal development is much more important than quantity.

Given that you're still in your first year of your degree, my advice is just enjoy doing your course and don't worry about DClin yet. You can think about this in your final year, as i know a lot of people end up changing their mind. Good luck and feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

ReputationRep:
    I also have questions on this... So I'm about to start my first year however I'm looking to start an MA without doing a bachelors first? Would this hinder my chances (if I had a good grade + experience in the field for a couple years) to apply for the doctorate? Also on the entry requirements for the uni I'd like to do it at, it said I needed at least a 2.1 honours? With experience obviously but silly question just wondering what exactly is a 2.1? Is that a pass or an A or what? Sorry if this is a bit stupid haha I like to know things ahead of time :') thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm at my first year at university studying psychology.
    Careerwise I would be interested in becoming a clinical psychologist. But I'm not sure how that it is going to work after I graduate would I have to do another year of training or my masters in order to become a clinical psychologist?

any help would be appreciated

thanks all

• TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SasaM97)
    I also have questions on this... So I'm about to start my first year however I'm looking to start an MA without doing a bachelors first? Would this hinder my chances (if I had a good grade + experience in the field for a couple years) to apply for the doctorate? Also on the entry requirements for the uni I'd like to do it at, it said I needed at least a 2.1 honours? With experience obviously but silly question just wondering what exactly is a 2.1? Is that a pass or an A or what? Sorry if this is a bit stupid haha I like to know things ahead of time :') thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A 2:1 is a grade for undergraduate degrees - 60-69/100. I don't get what you mean by doing an MA without a bachelors?
    (Original post by germ18)
    Hello all,

I'm at my first year at university studying psychology.
    Careerwise I would be interested in becoming a clinical psychologist. But I'm not sure how that it is going to work after I graduate would I have to do another year of training or my masters in order to become a clinical psychologist?

any help would be appreciated

thanks all

It's very competitive so you would have to do relevant work experience. Many applicants would also have postgraduate qualifications - masters or PhD.

There is a clinical psychology FaQ thread in the psychology forum to check out

ReputationRep:
    Ucl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    A 2:1 is a grade for undergraduate degrees - 60-69/100. I don't get what you mean by doing an MA without a bachelors?
    Ahhh I see! Okay thanks! And woops sorry yeah the course I've applied to is the MA I haven't done a Bsc prior but I've got an unconditional for the MA... Not all uni's do this it depends on the uni I suppose haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SasaM97)
    Ahhh I see! Okay thanks! And woops sorry yeah the course I've applied to is the MA I haven't done a Bsc prior but I've got an unconditional for the MA... Not all uni's do this it depends on the uni I suppose haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you mean the Scottish MA degrees? To do clinical psychology, you would still need to get Graduate Basis for Registration (or whatever they call it now) either by doing an accredited undergraduate psychology degree, or a conversion course (masters level)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Do you mean the Scottish MA degrees? To do clinical psychology, you would still need to get Graduate Basis for Registration (or whatever they call it now) either by doing an accredited undergraduate psychology degree, or a conversion course (masters level)
    Yeah it's accredited and everything haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.