The Student Room Group

Asurat's road to 4 As at AS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Today I rode buses for three hours an learned hat I don't want to work in commercial banking so it's looking like I hav to make the most of markets in the Summer. I've just slept so now I'm ready to do some work.

Monday/Tuesday (Completed Wednesday bold and underlined)
x Finish module 2 chem
x Finish module 3 physics notes
x D2 review exercise homework until failure

*I've only just showered and am not looking to work til 3 and wake up at 8 so I'll try do all of the aforementioned before I go to the gym tomorrow, and then I'll do something else afterwards.

Wednesday

(x) Module 4 revision notes part 1-Physics
(x) Module 3 chemistry notes part 1

break

(x) Module 4 part 2
(x) Module 3 part 2
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 101
Guess what... I'm going to sleep. I won't go out tomorrow so I can actually get something done. I'll try do as above on Wednesday.
I had a weird day today.
I taught my friend how to do how to deadlift and stopped some ***** in the year above stealing money from my a guy who is much more innocent and vulnerable than I am and is a much better human being too. Which made Me feel good about myself because they ran away and I trained well earlier (but they weren't exactly junior Brock Lesnars and I'm not Allistair Overroid but I'm going to ignore that). But the highlight had to be playing Simpsons hit and Run for about 3 hours.

I'm sure OCR will take that into account when I get ACD for coursework and exams and watch my dreams evaporate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 102
Okay I genuinely think I'll be able to finish today before I go to Thai at 8. Afterwards I'll sit a D1 paper. I may have went out yesterday (as well as staying in bed til about 4) but that's in the past now.
Reply 103
I leave at 2am tonight so I've packed all of my papers and books so I'm just going to post what I have yet to complete at the end of half term. I'm going to do a C1 paper because it's easy and I don't want to do anything that would engage me too much and I expect to get every mark before I leave tonight.
Reply 104
Lol too confident. 2 questions I couldn't do so I think I got 65<=. Mark shortly

*I got full marks for 1 of the two questions

I scored 71/75. For the other question I wrote down 3/4 marks of a correct solution and crossed it out as well as abandoned it so I didn't bring her home :frown:

Question 11C was the devil incarnate. Mad hard for a C1 paper and I can see why you needed 73.3% for an A.

Good news, my first 100 UMS (probably)!!!!!!! The A boundary was 55 and I got 129% of that...*which still probably wasn't 100.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 105
I'm back and had a poor time. I didn't even do as much work as I'd have liked to either because my family understandably doesn't appreciate sitting in silence for prolonged periods of time. I did 2 F321 papers, 2 G481 papers, 2 D1 papers and 1 FP1 paper as well as schoolwork. I got:
56/60, 54/60, 42/60, 44/60, 64/75, 65/75 and 65/75 on the papers so I'm going to write out a revision timetable tomorrow as it's clear that my improvements in the unit 1 exam in Chemistry has been offset by my poorer physics results. I think I've probably done some of those papers before as well so I should really be doing better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 106
I've made a timetable and began implementing it using the "getrevising" study planner. I doubt that I'll be posting much unless I think something actually interesting's happened but I'll try post at least once a week.

Generally I feel fairly confident about the upcoming exams and if I study as much as I've planned (assuming something stupid doesn't happen) then I should do fairly well.
I can currently do C1, F321, FP1 about as well as I'd like to for actual exams but the rest of my exams need work, especially C2 (lol) and D2. I can half do D1, G481 and stats but I'm not ready yet which is just as well considering that I don't sit anything for over a month. Apologies in advance if I don't perform as well as anybody who follows my blog would like me to but I'll try do myself justice.

One last thing, my scores for my Physics and Chem practicals:

Physics: 16/20 Quant, 9/10 Qual, 9/10 Eval. I have 1 quant retake available and I'm not going to retake my qualitative.
Chemistry: 14/15 quant, 8/10 qual, 11/15 eval. I have 1 eval retake available and 2 qual retakes.
Reply 107
so 34/40 and 33/40, ideally I'd like at least 35 in both :smile:
Reply 108
Shouts out me for banging out an A at my first attempt of an F322 paper under exam conditions :tongue:
Reply 109
I did a bunch of papers this week and did okay, I'm still not averaging 70+ for maths and on the Jan 2011 FP1 I only managed to only get within 1 mark of the A boundary.
I'm not too good at C2 but I've sat 3 papers and boosted my marks from 45 to 52 to 61 so hopefully I should be good enough by the time the week is out. Every FP1, C1 and C2 paper I complete the mark isn't exactly interstellar but I've started making a lot less basic mistakes and every mark I lose I learn something :smile:. I understand that it's better than the average for whatever year it is but whenever I step into my further maths class or log into TSR I feel totally dwarfed :colondollar:. Hopefully I can compete with the big boys before exams come though :biggrin:
I've also decided that for Stats, D1 and D2 I'm going to try and revise during frees until I've finished all of my first maths exams, considering that D1 and S1 are in June and D2 is literally 2 months from today (time of writing).

I did another F322 paper and got 86/100, as well as doing 2 F321s, 1 in a free and a break time (so really a way of procrastinating doing homework) and another in exam conditions, I scored 40/60 (lol) and 54/60 respectively. As a consequence of that 40 I've decided that I'm not going to be sitting 1 hour papers in one period.
I'm thinking I shouldn't be losing (m)any marks in either of the chemistry papers if I don't mess up and I learn my chemistry properly. I've noticed that for the F321 exam I don't actually understand some parts of the syllabus but I know how to score all of the marks for those specific questions 99% of the time, this is something that I'm going to be looking to rectify whenever I have an hour free, considering that it's looking more and more likely I'll be taking chemistry next year. Funny how things change after I actually revise properly.

I've decided that next week I'm going to look over all of the content for the G481 exam for physics as I've yet to get more than 49 marks and I just sat a paper and got a C which is unacceptable, and the 40 something marks I'm usually getting are clearly because of a lack of appreciable understanding of the physics in mechanics. I didn't finish my notes for G482 this weekend, but I'm going to complete the bulk of what's remaining done tone tomorrow morning.
From January I've held the opinion that G481 is the easiest exam that I have to sit and I'll have to deal with my arrogance. Much like every other one of the exams I sat a mock in in January but I'll (hopefully) pull it back :biggrin:

I have 2 mocks next school week, an F322 and a G482 mock which I'm obviously hoping to do well in. I expect to get an A in the F322 and any less would be a lil disappointing, physics I have no idea but a C or above would be nice for the time being (better would be preferred though)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 110
I didn't do much that was noteworthy this week, aside from a F322 and G482 mock. I reckon I got at least a B in both mocks (maybe an A in F322). Apparently they were the two hardest unit 2 papers on this course and I'm pretty happy with how I did, considering that the only preparation I did for the g482 mock was half a paper the night before and that helped me more than hours of reading the spec (which was helpful for theory but not for calcs :tongue:). We half marked physics and I scored 41/76, so I need to get 18/21 on what is remaining for an A (including the one that I left out).

After sitting that Chemistry mock I realise that I've hit a plateau with F322 so I'm going to ask one of my classmates who is generally just a superior human being how they attain such levels of academic perfection for both of the physics exams and the F322 exam :colondollar:

I got my highest mark so far in an FP1 paper (71/75) which was nice, hopefully I'll get 100 before the week is out so I'm in good stead for my actual exam :biggrin: I also did more C2 and realised that it requires more work than absolutely everything else that I take because I'm not scoring more than 60 and I desperately desire an A on that paper.

I'm nearly ready for my exams, only Mechanics (G481) and C2 need work but for everything else the scores that I'm getting in practice papers are scores that I wouldn't cry about on results day (I wouldn't be too happy either but idm as long as I do my best)
If you have the option of doing m2 next year. Do it. Half of it, is basically revision from mechanics in your physics course and m1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by Devran22
If you have the option of doing m2 next year. Do it. Half of it, is basically revision from mechanics in your physics course and m1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good because we have no choice but to do M2 for A2 further maths :smile:
Original post by Asurat
That's good because we have no choice but to do M2 for A2 further maths :smile:

Ahh Oh yer forgot you did further :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
I got the results back for both of my mocks June 2014, I got an A in Chemistry and a B in physics. I'd like to do better in the real exams but that's not a bad place to start.
Reply 115
Chucking my revision timetable out as I don't want to be looking at anything that isn't the upcoming exams until half term. I've now sat every single Physics and Chemistry unit 1 paper on the specification so this Saturday and Sunday I'm looking to find where I lose the marks and spend the next week fixing it. Chemistry I think I can get 100 if I don't make silly mistakes Physics isn't looking good at all but I'll make the most of it :smile:
I have a feeling I'm going to regret how little I worked in the first term of sixth form compared to after Jan, but I'll try my best now.
Original post by Asurat
I did a bunch of papers this week and did okay, I'm still not averaging 70+ for maths and on the Jan 2011 FP1 I only managed to only get within 1 mark of the A boundary.
I'm not too good at C2 but I've sat 3 papers and boosted my marks from 45 to 52 to 61 so hopefully I should be good enough by the time the week is out. Every FP1, C1 and C2 paper I complete the mark isn't exactly interstellar but I've started making a lot less basic mistakes and every mark I lose I learn something :smile:. I understand that it's better than the average for whatever year it is but whenever I step into my further maths class or log into TSR I feel totally dwarfed :colondollar:. Hopefully I can compete with the big boys before exams come though :biggrin:
I've also decided that for Stats, D1 and D2 I'm going to try and revise during frees until I've finished all of my first maths exams, considering that D1 and S1 are in June and D2 is literally 2 months from today (time of writing).

I did another F322 paper and got 86/100, as well as doing 2 F321s, 1 in a free and a break time (so really a way of procrastinating doing homework) and another in exam conditions, I scored 40/60 (lol) and 54/60 respectively. As a consequence of that 40 I've decided that I'm not going to be sitting 1 hour papers in one period.
I'm thinking I shouldn't be losing (m)any marks in either of the chemistry papers if I don't mess up and I learn my chemistry properly. I've noticed that for the F321 exam I don't actually understand some parts of the syllabus but I know how to score all of the marks for those specific questions 99% of the time, this is something that I'm going to be looking to rectify whenever I have an hour free, considering that it's looking more and more likely I'll be taking chemistry next year. Funny how things change after I actually revise properly.

I've decided that next week I'm going to look over all of the content for the G481 exam for physics as I've yet to get more than 49 marks and I just sat a paper and got a C which is unacceptable, and the 40 something marks I'm usually getting are clearly because of a lack of appreciable understanding of the physics in mechanics. I didn't finish my notes for G482 this weekend, but I'm going to complete the bulk of what's remaining done tone tomorrow morning.
From January I've held the opinion that G481 is the easiest exam that I have to sit and I'll have to deal with my arrogance. Much like every other one of the exams I sat a mock in in January but I'll (hopefully) pull it back :biggrin:

I have 2 mocks next school week, an F322 and a G482 mock which I'm obviously hoping to do well in. I expect to get an A in the F322 and any less would be a lil disappointing, physics I have no idea but a C or above would be nice for the time being (better would be preferred though)

when i did my first C1 mock i got a really low C which was disappointing as i genuinely though i knew my stuff...but doing more and more papers and using a mark scheme effectively, i managed to secure an A, albeit low, in my latest mock.

for C1 and C2, i think its important that you do loads and loads of practice... most of the exam papers contain similar style questions. once you can tackle each question, you'll easily be able to achieve an A.

good luck and all the best.
Reply 117
Original post by asifa129
when i did my first C1 mock i got a really low C which was disappointing as i genuinely though i knew my stuff...but doing more and more papers and using a mark scheme effectively, i managed to secure an A, albeit low, in my latest mock.

for C1 and C2, i think its important that you do loads and loads of practice... most of the exam papers contain similar style questions. once you can tackle each question, you'll easily be able to achieve an A.

good luck and all the best.

Thanks I'm already doing a lot of practice, good luck in your exams!
Reply 118
I've sat every FP1 paper for this syllabus (excluding the alternates), and sat a C1 paper (AND checked it afterwards which I have never done after a practice C1 paper), scoring 69 and 75 on each paper respectively. I reckon that I'm prepared for the first week of exams , so I'm going to laze around for a few hours and then look through the harder FP1 and C1 papers and see if there are any that I can't do. Should be a really stressful couple of weeks but I'm sure I'll enjoy them :biggrin:
Reply 119
I just did my ACTUAL C1 EXAM PAPER and I finished in 60 minutes and left out two questions, sat down hyperventilating watching my future dissolve and then... I got the right solutions after I regained my composure.

I didn't get to check my algebra, so the max mark I can get is 74/75 as I didn't simplify root 2*root 5. I reckon that I got an A aside from the hiccup, hopefully 100 UMS
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest