Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips for travelling the US after summer camp! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to work on a summer camp this year and I really want to go travelling afterwards. I've never been travelling before so I'm a little alien on how to do it cost-effectively!

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? Like what the cheapest ways to get around are and the cheapest places to stay etc. Also, is it best/cheaper to book an organised trip through companies such as Intrepid and Trek America? or would it be better to do your own thing and go with the friends you make at camp?

Any tips at all would be hugely appreciated cus i'm mega nervous about going to the states on my own but I want to make the most of it and do everything I can! (or what my bank balance will let me haha)

Thanks youuuu x

ReputationRep:
    they recommend you don't plan anything before hand and instead plan the trip while at camp as you will meet people who want to go to different places and have different ideas.

travelling after with camp friends will be cheaper than going with a company because you arent paying the administration or guide etc, also, if you make a lot of american friends, I've heard offer up their homes for a couple nights in different states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollie263)
    I've applied to work on a summer camp this year and I really want to go travelling afterwards. I've never been travelling before so I'm a little alien on how to do it cost-effectively!

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? Like what the cheapest ways to get around are and the cheapest places to stay etc. Also, is it best/cheaper to book an organised trip through companies such as Intrepid and Trek America? or would it be better to do your own thing and go with the friends you make at camp?

Any tips at all would be hugely appreciated cus i'm mega nervous about going to the states on my own but I want to make the most of it and do everything I can! (or what my bank balance will let me haha)

Thanks youuuu x
    Hey,

I went on a month-long trip in the USA last year. My budget was veeeery low so I spent the time travelling through California, I definitely didn't have enough time to see the entire country.

Some tips:
    - it's best to arrange everything yourself. booking through companies will only bump up the cost.

- recruiting a friend to go with you will make it cheaper, as you can split the costs for accommodation

- major transport modes are: flights (coast to coast -- book in advice, use comparison sites like skyscanner, try to travel midweek. i got flights from detroit to san francisco for $110, for example). amtrak is the major train service. it can be quite expensive (and remember how far apart everything is. i spent 60 dollars going from NYC to detroit and it was something insane like 15 hours).

- .... buses are the cheapest mode of transport by far. greyhound is the most popular, but i used gotobus when travelling between san fran/la/vegas/san diego, and it typically cost 20-50$.

- as for accommodation, look for nights when hotels aren't busy (if you're lucky). however the by-far cheapest method is to stay in hostels. hostelworld/hostelbookers are great comparison sites. i typically paid $20 per night. make sure you stay somewhere near the centre/near accessible transport however, because you don't want to be stuck out in the sticks

- a lot of people say to be spontaneous and book things as you go along, but i definitely saved money by planning in advance and getting early rates. i didn't have enough time or money to go at a slow pace so i planned what i wanted to see and how long i'd stay in each place beforehand (i've never been to camp before tho, so maybe the previous poster's advice is more useful)

- there's a couchsurfing website, if you'd be comfortable doing something like that

can't think of anything else to add. hope this helps!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.