Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,

I'm delighted to have recently received an unconditional to do law at edinburgh and when I was looking through threads I couldn't find one for Law at edinburgh. It would be nice to speak to anyone else who is planning to firm edinburgh or any previous students who have some incite as to what the course is like

ReputationRep:
    Congrats!
    I am a law student, first year. If you have any questions, message me!
    I am really enjoying my course and the lectures are pretty interesting. The subjects are really nice and varied, and some things that seem boring (e.g contract law) actually turn out to be so interesting and it was one of my favorite subjects! The law society puts on loads of fun events and the university itself is absolutely amazing and has a great atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    Hello friends!

I have also received an Unconditional Offer for Law at Edinburgh.
    I applied for one of the joint Honours Degree programs (International Relations)
    Will this affect my ability to practice law in Scotland after graduation? (I.e. will not be able to fulfill all the requirements to apply for a Diploma in Legal Practice...)

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockjoseph)
    Hello friends!

I applied for one of the joint Honours Degree programs (International Relations)
    Will this affect my ability to practice law in Scotland after graduation? (I.e. will not be able to fulfill all the requirements to apply for a Diploma in Legal Practice...)

Cheers
    congrats on your offer! I'm really not too sure but I think if you want to be practicing solicitor you either have to do the LLB or else a conversion course after. Are you an international student ?

ReputationRep:
    I think at edinburgh you don't have enough credits to do the diploma straight away if you do a joint degree (I wanted to do law and french but didn't apply for that reason)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello friends!

Cheers
    Hello. I've firmed Edinburgh to study Law in September. Originally applied for LLB Law with Politics but changed it recently to LLB Law because it's very unlikely you'll be able to practice Law in Scotland after the joint honours - although it's not impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmhari)
    Hello. I've firmed Edinburgh to study Law in September. Originally applied for LLB Law with Politics but changed it recently to LLB Law because it's very unlikely you'll be able to practice Law in Scotland after the joint honours - although it's not impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which house / building did you apply for to live in? Maybe we'll have classes together next year! Haha

ReputationRep:
    Which house / building did you apply for to live in? Maybe we'll have classes together next year! Haha
    Yeah, maybe I'm going to apply for Deaconess I think. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmhari)
    Yeah, maybe I'm going to apply for Deaconess I think. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I completely gumbied and applied for like, Chancellor's Court and stuff. And NOW I finally read on TSR that 's where all the rich rah's live.

ReputationRep:
    I completely gumbied and applied for like, Chancellor's Court and stuff. And NOW I finally read on TSR that 's where all the rich rah's live.
    Haha! Oh dear, I considered there actually! At least it's supposed to be really sociable at catered buildings

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because you study Scottish Law will you have to do a conversion course after your 4 years in order to work in the UK or do they cover the UK system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Because you study Scottish Law will you have to do a conversion course after your 4 years in order to work in the UK or do they cover the UK system?
    At Edinburgh that is the case; you would have to do the conversion course. However, there are other Universities in Scotland which offer the opportunity to dual qualify, such as Aberdeen and Dundee, I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Although you are of course qualified to work in Scotland.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.