Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you holding onto something that you need to let go of? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Curiosity again.. uh me? A relationship ended a while back with someone, like 4 months ago.. I know it's been long but I'm willing to let it go, but it takes time and I'm not really good with time. The fact that we are friends now and we talk all the time too.. actually hurts but I'm a pro when it comes to masking my feelings. Let's just say when you love, you'll always get hurt at some point.. and it hurts like a mother****ing ***** :/ excuse my French, you were saying...?

ReputationRep:
    Uh, yes but the answer's quite rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Uh, yes but the answer's quite rude.
    the most painful part of all is not pushing the flush button, but pushing the cushions

ReputationRep:
    srs I'm sorry to hear of what you're going through OP, I have been trying to let go of my ex for around a year now. In truth I hope that we can be friends one day, but I have to have some time alone to overcome certain insecurities and life problems before we can have a healthy friendship. Such a process has been taking a year as I say, since it's deeply rooted to my long-standing mental health problem.

People come into our lives for many reasons, all of them teach us something, even those who weren't meant to stay for long in time this too shall heal, but they say that good night's sleep and long walks are the slow and steady cure for many woes of the heart. Godspeed

edit: why on earth are you bothering to be friends with someone you love dearly? I'm not saying you'll never talk again but you need time away from each other to heal, or you wouldn't be reaching out to strangers online at 4 in the morning-possibly drunk and crying idk, let's hope not :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    My relationship of 14 months ended pretty badly, and i was pretty crazy for him. I held onto it for 2 years, blaming myself and such, wondering if I had been better, then maybe things would have worked out. If I had just not argued that one time, you know thoughts like those. I just wished for one more chance to make everything right. Weirdly enough, we did talk again after a year and had another big argument. It hurt like a ***** again, and I was back to square one wondering about us and being depressed again. But staring this year, i've realised that i deserve to be happy in life. And so I've let him go and things aren't so bad.

Like, I don't hate my ex and i'm thankful to him for letting me fall in love and feel all those lovey-dovey feelings. I wish him best in life, and have accepted that we are both better off not being together. I mean its hard to forget someone whom you have loved and cared for deeply. It will certainly take time and you'll cry about it every now and then. It's all normal, you can't just simply stop loving someone or stop caring for them. But you always have those memories to cherish.

Tl;dr - When things break off, its all for the good. It hurts but you'll learn to live with it and move on.
    The process of getting over someone is hard, sometimes it turns you cold and sometimes quite the opposite. Wishing you all the best, girly.

A fair few things. :sad: This cough for one, won't leave me alone hence up at this ridiculous hour trying to distract myself :sick:

ReputationRep:
    No
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Not really no, I don't tend to get caught up in a grudge or end things badly with ex's. Though that said sometimes others hold on to things I forget about then bring them up randomly :lol:

When you end a relationship OP you definitely have to make sure you're both getting closure so there's no angst. Don't mean to sound preachy, just offering some advice that's helped me.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you need full closure. You sound a bit like me in that, if you don't get closure immediately, you probably won't fully get over it for a very, very long time.

I recently let my ex know how ****ty I felt during our relationship after a period of some 3 years, I blocked all my ex's on every medium I could think of, I started exercising and focusing on a career, and I feel fantastic.
    If you mask your feelings now, you'll mask them for a long time and it's going to make it very difficult for you to move on.

If you're forced to interact with him, be it because of work, school, whatever you do, keep it brief, neutral and don't analyse it. Don't try to be friends with him, it won't work. It's best to just try to cut off contact altogether if possible.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional

ReputationRep:
    I guess a couple of ladies who I know I have no chance with one but I still talk to quite often now :moon: I reckon it will only change once I meet & interact with more of them aha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. My virginity...

ReputationRep:
    no i let things/people go quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....the police are going to start looking for her soon

ReputationRep:
    Only by force. I want to let go of my family but I can't because they won't let me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My mother figure :nopity: Am slowly getting there though

ReputationRep:
    Abuse and subsequent insecurities

ReputationRep:
    my craving for rep

ReputationRep:
    My massive insecurities and the feelings I have for my best guy mate after he told me that he liked someone else. God I'm an emotional wreck :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    A grenade

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I had a break up 4 months ago out of a 2.5 years relationship. Trying to let go right now but part of me somehow don't want to let go. So throughout these 4 months I was stuck in a cycle of letting go -> missing her -> false hope -> letting go again. Me and my Ex stopped speaking to each other a month ago so hopefully I can move on quicker.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.