Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I am applying to Oxford this year (OMG), and have looked though all the different colleges to choose. Magdalen really stands out to me. Amazing grounds, loads of undergrads, full accomadation etc. The only thing is though, I'vd been going through different TSR forums, and a common consensus is that Magdalen has quite an unfriendly reputation. Is this true? also, it is meant to be quite posh with a lame bar, JCR. Again, is this accurate? I ask, because I would not want to go somewhere with a reputation for being unfriendly, I am really sociable. I cannot stand posh people and rahs (ugh) and I would need a pretty lively bar/ JCR, as that would be the centre of my social life. I'm sorry for all the questions, it's just that I am like 96% sure I wanna choose Magdalen, just these things. I couldn't find any threads with these types of questions being asked! Thank you for the help! (If I get any)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Any reputation based on the characteristics of a group of people that haven't even arrived at Oxford yet is obviously going to be just a silly stereotype. They will be students looking to make friends and have a good time, like any other set of students. I was not aware of any unfriendly reputation.

The bar and JCR seem fine. You can google image search to see what they look like.

I'm afraid you're going to have to deal with "posh people" and "rahs" in your life. Certainly, there is no escaping them at any one of the top 50 universities in the UK. I suggest you ditch your prejudice.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Any reputation based on the characteristics of a group of people that haven't even arrived at Oxford yet is obviously going to be just a silly stereotype. They will be students looking to make friends and have a good time, like any other set of students. I was not aware of any unfriendly reputation.

The bar and JCR seem fine. You can google image search to see what they look like.

I'm afraid you're going to have to deal with "posh people" and "rahs" in your life. Certainly, there is no escaping them at any one of the top 50 universities in the UK. I suggest you ditch your prejudice.
    This basically. If you've visited Magdalen and you like it, you should probably go for it. Everyone ends up happy with the colleges they go to anyway and I think "reputations" are generally big exaggerations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)

Wouldn't go that far but certainly the likes of Oxford, Cambridge,Durham, St Andrew's, Bristol, Nottingham, Exeter and possibly Edinburgh and Newcastle. Manchester appears to be developing a bit of a reputation for attracting a fair few "rahs".

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.