Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, would any one be able to help me solve the following problem?

ABC is a triangle in which none of the angles is obtuse. The perpendicular AD from A to BC is produced to meet the circumcircle of the triangle at E. If D is equidistant from A and E prove that the triangle must be right-angled. If, alternatively, the incentre of the triangle is equidistant from A and E, prove that cos B + cos C = 1.

I can see that D must lie on the diameter as must B and C, so A must be 90 degrees. The second part of the question is where I am stumped. I have been trying to find an expression that constrains the centre of the incircle to be equidistant from A and E and transform that expression to the required one. However I don't know where to begin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley appleton)

ABC is a triangle in which none of the angles is obtuse. The perpendicular AD from A to BC is produced to meet the circumcircle of the triangle at E. If D is equidistant from A and E prove that the triangle must be right-angled. If, alternatively, the incentre of the triangle is equidistant from A and E, prove that cos B + cos C = 1.

I can see that D must lie on the diameter as must B and C, so A must be 90 degrees. The second part of the question is where I am stumped. I have been trying to find an expression that constrains the centre of the incircle to be equidistant from A and E and transform that expression to the required one. However I don't know where to begin.
    I hope some proper mainland Greek or Australian is around because there are very few geometers around in the UK.

I have even forgotten what incentre, circumcentre, orthocentre etc mean.

[I will try but not tonight as brain has seized...]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley appleton)

You can try by assuming coordinates, and finding a relation between x and y, but the process is very long-winding. SOT was always my weak point, I'll go through my notes again and see if something can be done.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.