The Student Room Group

Good enough for Economics at LSE, Cambridge or any other top 5?

Hello, I know my GCSEs aren't great. But I was wondering if I still have a realistic chance of getting an offer.

GCSEs
Maths A*
Religious Studies A*
Geography A
Literature A
English A
Further Maths A
Chemistry A
Biology B
Physics B
History B
German B

AS
Maths A (100%)
Further Maths A (83%)
Geography A (96%)
Economics A (89%)
History A (84%)

I dropped geography for A2, just because the lessons are so bad.

Extra-Curricular
- Intermediate French and German
- Duke of Ednburgh
- National Citizenship Service
- Durham Supported Progression
- Mentor and Prefect
- Year 9 maths mentor

I have also got a month of finance related work experience.

Thanks, I'm sure you can appreciate how competitive economics is!
Original post by jake4198
Hello, I know my GCSEs aren't great. But I was wondering if I still have a realistic chance of getting an offer.

GCSEs
Maths A*
Religious Studies A*
Geography A
Literature A
English A
Further Maths A
Chemistry A
Biology B
Physics B
History B
German B

AS
Maths A (100%)
Further Maths A (83%)
Geography A (96%)
Economics A (89%)
History A (84%)

I dropped geography for A2, just because the lessons are so bad.

Extra-Curricular
- Intermediate French and German
- Duke of Ednburgh
- National Citizenship Service
- Durham Supported Progression
- Mentor and Prefect
- Year 9 maths mentor

I have also got a month of finance related work experience.

Thanks, I'm sure you can appreciate how competitive economics is!

I'm assuming you're applying post A2? If so, your A2 results are probably going to be more important than your AS results. Your AS results very good though. I honestly can't gauge how likely you are to get in since there are lots of aspects to the application but I definitely think you've got a good shot. Your GCSE profile isn't the greatest but your AS results are really good. Keep up the good work at A2 and try to bring up the UMS so that you can get A*s.
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm assuming you're applying post A2? If so, your A2 results are probably going to be more important than your AS results. Your AS results very good though. I honestly can't gauge how likely you are to get in since there are lots of aspects to the application but I definitely think you've got a good shot. Your GCSE profile isn't the greatest but your AS results are really good. Keep up the good work at A2 and try to bring up the UMS so that you can get A*s.

Yeah, I want to do a gap year and apply after A2, as oppose to prior. I'm predicted 2 A*s and 2 As at A2, but I'm only really looking for one. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.
Original post by jake4198
Yeah, I want to do a gap year and apply after A2, as oppose to prior. I'm predicted 2 A*s and 2 As at A2, but I'm only really looking for one. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.

One tip though: if you genuinely want Cambridge to be an option, you are going to want two A*s at the absolute minimum. I'm not sure if their official entry requirement is A*AA or A*A*A but most of their successful applicants will go on to achieve at least two A*s and apparently the standards are higher for post-A2 applicants.

Good luck though!

Quick Reply

Latest