Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is Marx's base and superstructure model self refuting? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My RS teacher said that there was a possible contradiction in the model, but withheld the reason why.

Secondly, does the development of things like the welfare state and benefits nullify Marx's critique of capitalism- this country is still capitalist, and although it has major flaws, I don't hear of any mass exploitation of the poor in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    My RS teacher said that there was a possible contradiction in the model, but withheld the reason why.

Secondly, does the development of things like the welfare state and benefits nullify Marx's critique of capitalism- this country is still capitalist, and although it has major flaws, I don't hear of any mass exploitation of the poor in the UK?
    This country is surely a mixed economy with capitalist tendencies.

I suspect time and the acceptance of a greater role for the state in the direction of an economy has to a degree dulled Marx's critique of capitalism, large parts of his theories appear to have been overtaken by events, certainly in Europe.

ReputationRep:

The contradiction in the Marxist model is that everyone is supposed to be equal but in reality you need an administrator class to enforce this equality meaning that "some animals are more equal than others" (George Orwell)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ccomp)
    The contradiction in the Marxist model is that everyone is supposed to be equal but in reality you need an administrator class to enforce this equality meaning that "some animals are more equal than others" (George Orwell)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A "legist" society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    A "legist" society

Surely once equality has been achieved, the enforcers can then step down and become like the rest of us?
    (Original post by Ccomp)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Surely once equality has been achieved, the enforcers can then step down and become like the rest of us?
    Really, now... The technocrats can't step down once equality has been achieved, because equality is a lie, so the balance needs to be constantly redressed and maintained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HigherMinion)
    Really, now... The technocrats can't step down once equality has been achieved, because equality is a lie, so the balance needs to be constantly redressed and maintained.
    So the conclusion from Marxism applied to reality (ie Leninism) goes no closer to solving inequality than capitalism?

ReputationRep:
    So the conclusion from Marxism applied to reality (ie Leninism) goes no closer to solving inequality than capitalism?
    Marx believed human nature was malleable. This is the reason inequality is inevitable- because he was wrong. It isn't something to be solved, in actual fact, because it necessarily requires freedoms and liberty be removed. You end up with a dictatorship of some form or another (sham democracy, fascism or applied communism).

ReputationRep:
    Marx believed human nature was malleable. This is the reason inequality is inevitable- because he was wrong. It isn't something to be solved, in actual fact, because it necessarily requires freedoms and liberty be removed. You end up with a dictatorship of some form or another (sham democracy, fascism or applied communism).
    Would you also say that Marxism is against human nature for making people equal reduces greatly the incentives for people to work harder?

ReputationRep:
    Would you also say that Marxism is against human nature for making people equal reduces greatly the incentives for people to work harder?
    It does, and it also encourages a culture of victimhood/entitlement. Everyone wants to be part of the oppressed minority; to become radicals without a war to fight. You should read Charles Sykes' book from '92 Nation of Victims, which details how the pursuit of equality has destroyed the American character, and it extends to other Western nations too.

ReputationRep:
    It does, and it also encourages a culture of victimhood/entitlement. Everyone wants to be part of the oppressed minority; to become radicals without a war to fight. You should read Charles Sykes' book from '92 Nation of Victims, which details how the pursuit of equality has destroyed the American character, and it extends to other Western nations too.
    Sounds like an interesting book to read. I hope to read it once my GCSEs are over!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.