The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Chemistry B F334 - June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Thanks! One question though, how come it wouldn't allow just the NH2 in the amide to be protonated? It only allowed the amine To be protonated

its because amino acids can exist as zwitterions so only affects the -COOH group or amine group of an amino acid. the other amine group was from an amide
Thanks! One question though, how come it wouldn't allow just the NH2 in the amide to be protonated? It only allowed the amine To be protonated

If you were to think of a general structure of the amino acid the amide bit is part of the R group.
Original post by nats927
its because amino acids can exist as zwitterions so only affects the -COOH group or amine group of an amino acid. the other amine group was from an amide

Original post by LordGaben
If you were to think of a general structure of the amino acid the amide bit is part of the R group.

Oh right, thanks!
But say if it were in high acid concentration, then the NH2 in the amide would also be protonated too?
Oh right, thanks!
But say if it were in high acid concentration, then the NH2 in the amide would also be protonated too?

Yh and I would expect the COO- on the zwitterion to also be protonated. Actually Im starting to doubt an amide can be protonated in a similar way to an amine. They are most likely far weaker bases. This might need some research.
(edited 8 years ago)
What's the mark scheme specific definition for glass transition temperature?
Oh right, thanks!

' It should be noted that while amides are considered to be non-acidic and non-basic underphysiologic conditions, this functional group can be "protonated" (act as a base) or unprotonated(act as an acid) under more extreme chemical conditions. amides may be at least partially protonated and, in the presence of very strong bases, anamide hydrogen may be removed '
found from an online source.
Original post by LordGaben
Yh and I would expect the COO- on the zwitterion to also be protonated. Actually Im starting to doubt an amide can be protonated in a similar way to an amine. They are most likely far weaker bases. This might need some research.

Original post by nats927
' It should be noted that while amides are considered to be non-acidic and non-basic underphysiologic conditions, this functional group can be "protonated" (act as a base) or unprotonated(act as an acid) under more extreme chemical conditions. amides may be at least partially protonated and, in the presence of very strong bases, anamide hydrogen may be removed '
found from an online source.

I assume for our syllabus the only thing they would expect us to know is that a zwitter ion only has a charge on the NH3+ and COO- that isn't in the R group. Thanks for the help, both of you :smile:
is the hydrolysis of proteins the same conditions as hydrolysis of amides? so moderately concentrated NaOH heated under reflux ->carboxylate salts
Original post by nats927
is the hydrolysis of proteins the same conditions as hydrolysis of amides? so moderately concentrated NaOH heated under reflux ->carboxylate salts

Yep moderately concentrated hcl or Naoh, heat under reflux.
(edited 8 years ago)
What reagent/condition needed for ester hydrolysis?
Original post by Hattie0912
What reagent/condition needed for ester hydrolysis?

dilute sulfuric acid heated under reflux
Reply 111
Original post by nats927
dilute sulfuric acid heated under reflux

Nope, it's moderately concentrated, you lose the mark for dilute
Original post by Lh22
Nope, it's moderately concentrated, you lose the mark for dilute

no... they said hydolysis of esters.. not condensation. concentrated sulfuric acid is for the condensation reaction.
Reply 113
Does anyone have/ know of any good revision notes? I need an A in chemistry and am really struggling with the A2 papers :frown:
Reply 114
does anyone have a list of the reactions we need to know for F334???
Hey all, had a few questions which I found a bit strange.

June 2013 Q1cii)
The structure of A is -ooc(C6H4)coo- which I obtain correctly
The has formed from the carboxylic acid part of the molecule so should have a C=O bond peak at 1700-1725. However the markscheme says it should be at 1720-1740 (which would be an aldehyde!). But it also says reference to anything other than a carboxylic acid/carboxylate is a CON so it sort of contradicts itself. Any help?

Jan 2013 Q2a)
Why doesn't the hydroxyl group act as an acid? because don't OH groups deprotonate?
Original post by Mooresy
Does anyone have/ know of any good revision notes? I need an A in chemistry and am really struggling with the A2 papers :frown:

It may or may not be too late in the day but the CGP revision guide for this course helped me out SO much for F335 as the salters one is far too brief and misses out stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lydiaaa1
What's the mark scheme specific definition for glass transition temperature?

The temperature below which a polymer turns brittle. It's vital to state 'below which'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by Welbeck
Hey all, had a few questions which I found a bit strange.

June 2013 Q1cii)
The structure of A is -ooc(C6H4)coo- which I obtain correctly
The has formed from the carboxylic acid part of the molecule so should have a C=O bond peak at 1700-1725. However the markscheme says it should be at 1720-1740 (which would be an aldehyde!). But it also says reference to anything other than a carboxylic acid/carboxylate is a CON so it sort of contradicts itself. Any help?

Jan 2013 Q2a)
Why doesn't the hydroxyl group act as an acid? because don't OH groups deprotonate?

For Jan 2013 Q2a), OH (alone) groups have low delocalisation (Compared to carboxylic acids and phenols)
guuys im really scared of thiss especially f335

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending