Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

unfair job reference? I got offered a job then rejected Watch

ReputationRep:
    i went for an interview in a jewelry store. the lady said 'i m happy if your happy' ,and 'you'll be starting on the 26th'. so i totally thought i got the job, and didnt go to another interview. then a week later i got a rejection letter? i left my old job because of mobbing, and i'm worried that i ve been given an unfair reference. Can i write and ask to see what reference they gave me? since my files are on 'hold'.

any advice appreciated
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by SuperWolfPaws)
    You need to go back and ask for feedback on why you were rejected first, it might not have been your reference.

You can ask the potential employer if you can see your reference, but I'd only do that if they tell you the reference was the problem.

ReputationRep:
    LOL the pain is real!

+ clarify for me, what is "mobbing"? ;P

ReputationRep:
    It's against the law to provide a bad reference, but the reference can be written in a way that those in the know can tell something is up.

You can request a copy of your reference. If they don't provide one, it may be because of their own incompetence not necessarily anything personal against you.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    It's against the law to provide a bad reference, but the reference can be written in a way that those in the know can tell something is up.
    It is not against the law to write a bad reference. A reference must be honest. So if someone was a bad employee, you have to say so, if you give a reference and in the event a bad reference would be given, most people refuse to give a reference at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)

Not true. Any employer can what they wish in a reference however they must be able to prove what they say is honest and accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You need to go back and ask for feedback on why you were rejected first, it might not have been your reference.

You can ask the potential employer if you can see your reference, but I'd only do that if they tell you the reference was the problem.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    LOL the pain is real!

+ clarify for me, what is "mobbing"? ;P
    ganging up on someone,shutting them out. making them feel stupid. spreading rumors. scape goating, bit like a group of school bullies only a little less obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)

thanks lol, i feel rubbish, don't really want to go in and get embarrassed i might get upset too, do you think sending a letter would be ok?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by SuperWolfPaws)
    thanks lol, i feel rubbish, don't really want to go in and get embarrassed i might get upset too, do you think sending a letter would be ok?

Or an email. Something like

Dear XXX

Thank you for interviewing me for the role of xxxxx. Although I am disappointed not to be given the role, I would still very much like to work in this area. Please could you give me feedback on how I can improve my performance, or any further experience i could get to improve my future applications.

Yours sincerely

if you want, you can ask to see your references, but to be honest, if I got the email above, I'd remember the candidate was keen to improve themselves and work in the sector, which might stick in my mind if anything short notice comes up. If someone asked to see their reference, I'd know they weren't 100% their references were strong!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.