The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship Scheme 2015

Scroll to see replies

Okay guys, so I've just received my location/role/department. However, for pre-employment checks they are asking for references. This is a bit of an issue as I have no employment history(being a student) and they say personal references, such as a teacher, must have known you for a minimum of three years. My issue is that being 21 and at university, that my lecturers have only known me for around a year, I also can not contact my college/school as the teachers who taught me have retired. Does anybody have any suggestions? As I surely can't be the only one with this issue!

Congratulations to everybody who's been successful:smile:
@ jamescarroll.

They should allow friends, the form i got clearly stated it can't be an employer or direct family members, but it can be friends and family friends etc as long as they've known you for 3 years.

This is a part of my reference form.
These people must have known you for at least 3 years but not be related to you or an employer. They can be friends or family friends, they do not have to be professional people.

This annoyed me a bit as i had spend quite some time chasing up my old bosses etc for references, as in the end i didn't need any of them :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZiggyMoff
@ jamescarroll.

They should allow friends, the form i got clearly stated it can't be an employer or direct family members, but it can be friends and family friends etc as long as they've known you for 3 years.

This annoyed me a bit as i had spend quite some time chasing up my old bosses etc for references, as in the end i didn't need any of them :biggrin:.

Thanks for the help, I'll get a family friend for one. However, do you think they'd mind a university lecturer who I've only known for two years? I don't want both of my references to be from people who are friends haha:smile:
Original post by jamescarroll
Thanks for the help, I'll get a family friend for one. However, do you think they'd mind a university lecturer who I've only known for two years? I don't want both of my references to be from people who are friends haha:smile:

Play it safe.

Get 2 references that have known you for 3 years or more even if they are both friends or family friends if that's all you can get, and then also include (or state that you can provide) the university lecturer as a 3rd and clearly mark it as though you've know this person for only 2 years and that you've provided/can provide this one just in case - that way you're giving them exactly what they've requested (2 personal references who've know you for 3 years or more) and a backup of the person you consider better (the university lecturer).

That's what i did, i provided 2 friends and then also my old manager from my last job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Play it safe.

Get 2 references that have known you for 3 years or more even if they are both friends or family friends if that's all you can get, and then also include (or state that you can provide) the university lecturer as a 3rd and clearly mark it as though you've know this person for only 2 years and that you've provided/can provide this one just in case - that way you're giving them exactly what they've requested (2 personal references who've know you for 3 years or more) and a backup of the person you consider better (the university lecturer).

That's what i did, i provided 2 friends and then also my old manager from my last job.

That's great, thank you! I'll do that:smile:
I was sent a load of stuff to sign from BIS today, and there is one annex which says:

"At the end of your time on the Scheme, you will be assessed to determine whether or not you have met the requirements of the Apprenticeship Framework. If you pass the assessment, you will remain in your post but you will no longer be an apprentice and this agreement will no longer be an apprenticeship agreement. You will continue to be a permanent employee of the Crown. If you do not pass the assessment, your employment will be terminated."

Seems pretty harsh that they will sack you if you don't pass the assessment?
Original post by rosschaps
I was sent a load of stuff to sign from BIS today, and there is one annex which says:

"At the end of your time on the Scheme, you will be assessed to determine whether or not you have met the requirements of the Apprenticeship Framework. If you pass the assessment, you will remain in your post but you will no longer be an apprentice and this agreement will no longer be an apprenticeship agreement. You will continue to be a permanent employee of the Crown. If you do not pass the assessment, your employment will be terminated."

Are you London BIS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosschaps

It's not that they sack you, we signed up to this knowing it was a fixed two year contract. Never once did it say permanent so it's not harsh IMO.
How many people in Wales are still waiting on location and department?
@ jamescarroll.

my reference allowed employers and then stated any gaps in employment history for the last three years and you can give a personal reference. This can be a lecturer or teacher, friend or colleague but you need to have known them for at least three years
Reply 1710
Original post by Lucydrysdale
How many people in Wales are still waiting on location and department?

Yep, still waiting. Emailed Nadine this morning, as she said to get in touch if hadn't heard by the 29th. Not expecting anything till next week now though.
Original post by JLaws
Yep, still waiting. Emailed Nadine this morning, as she said to get in touch if hadn't heard by the 29th. Not expecting anything till next week now though.

Okay, I'm just being relocated to Wales by Nadine. Didn't know if all places had been sorted by now, it's positive but also frustrating that we won't be knowing for another few days! I heard she is on leave again and so is Jo! Typical!!
Original post by londonkid2015
Are you London BIS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yessir
Weird - I haven't heard anything since hearing from my Boss, have you heard about any kind of onboarding day?

Had an invite from my Boss to go for a drink with the team, which sounds much better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't know what to do now, i was told my DBS email would be with me for Tuesday, its now Friday and i still haven't got it. The number i was given doesn't work anymore (its worked on the day i got it, not anymore), the email address is returning as "this person isn't available" and i have no clue who to contact about it.
I really don't know what to do now, i was told my DBS email would be with me for Tuesday, its now Friday and i still haven't got it. The number i was given doesn't work anymore (its worked on the day i got it, not anymore), the email address is returning as "this person isn't available" and i have no clue who to contact about it.

who did you meet the day you went in, if you have a name you could email them?
your lucky you've even got that far! I'm still waiting to hear from the dept.

Make sure you check your spam and junk email box as mine went into there.
Original post by arnie118
who did you meet the day you went in, if you have a name you could email them?
your lucky you've even got that far! I'm still waiting to hear from the dept.
The person i met with was going to be off for 2 weeks starting from last Monday, so she won't be back until the 10th of August.

I emailed her address in the hope it was being watched by someone else (it is a work email after all), I've emailed the csr.jobs@hmrc email that's on a DBS form i was given, i called the 2 HMRC numbers directly for the building i attended and both are always constantly engaged (and i don't have a lot of income to keep trying), I've called the number i was given to actually call if there was an issue and it just has a "this number isn't in use" message.

Worse case i guess is that if i don't have it by the 10th of August i can hopefully get it sorted quick enough for the 7th Sept start date (the DBS turnaround is meant to be about 20 days).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1718
Original post by aelishe
Make sure you check your spam and junk email box as mine went into there.

Thanks for reminding me of that! Got my email yesterday but just found it now.
Has anyone been placed at the ministry of justice on business admin? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending