Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It is suggested that the relationship between 1/I and x is:
    1/I = (ρ/AV)x + k

where ρ is the resistivity of the wire, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, V is the potential difference of the power supply and k is a constant for the circuit..
    Using the value for the gradient and your other results determine a value for the resistivity ρ with an appropriate unit.

Does anyone know how to answer these type of questions? I have my coursework tomorrow. All I know is that it has something to do with y = mx +c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elhamm)
    1/I = (ρ/AV)x + k

where ρ is the resistivity of the wire, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, V is the potential difference of the power supply and k is a constant for the circuit..
    Using the value for the gradient and your other results determine a value for the resistivity ρ with an appropriate unit.

Does anyone know how to answer these type of questions? I have my coursework tomorrow. All I know is that it has something to do with y = mx +c
    In general, this type of question requires you to linearise the suggested relationship.

Ex. E_k=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2
    you need this to be a straight line so you can find out the mass by measuring the gradient. So you plot kinetic energy on the y-axis and v^2 on the x-axis.

For your equation you need to pick something for y to equal and something for x to equal. Then the gradient will be resistivity (or some multiple of it).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lerjj)
    In general, this type of question requires you to linearise the suggested relationship.

Ex. E_k=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2
    you need this to be a straight line so you can find out the mass by measuring the gradient. So you plot kinetic energy on the y-axis and v^2 on the x-axis.

For your equation you need to pick something for y to equal and something for x to equal. Then the gradient will be resistivity (or some multiple of it).
    How would I work out the units required using my equation?

ReputationRep:
    How would I work out the units required using my equation?
    Units for what? To work out units you can use the rules

• both sides must have the same units
    • any time you add two quantities, they must have the same units (you can't add metres to kilograms)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lerjj)
    Units for what? To work out units you can use the rules

• both sides must have the same units
    • any time you add two quantities, they must have the same units (you can't add metres to kilograms)
    For finding resistivity.
    I tried solving this equation but I was still unable.
    can you please show me how to work it out step by step using any example figures for y-axis, x-axis and gradient??

ReputationRep:
    1/I = (ρ/AV)x + k

What do I and x stand for?

Assuming that you have measured: I, A, V, and x for some experiment the way to check if your relationship is true is to construct a graph which should be a straight line.

Straight lines are in the form y=mx+c
    your's is in the form (1/I)=(some numbers)x+k

do you see the similarity?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lerjj)
    What do I and x stand for?

Assuming that you have measured: I, A, V, and x for some experiment the way to check if your relationship is true is to construct a graph which should be a straight line.

Straight lines are in the form y=mx+c
    your's is in the form (1/I)=(some numbers)x+k

do you see the similarity?
    I stands for current and x stands for the lenght of the wire

ReputationRep:
    I stands for current and x stands for the lenght of the wire
    Ok, basically what you have to do is choose something for y to equal and something for x to equal when you plot your graph- in this case you would most likely plot 1/I on the y axis and x on the x axis.

Look at your function and see if you can tell what the gradient and y intercept of the resulting line will be.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.