Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do good universities take part in clearing? I'm not sure if I'll make my offers for Bath and Warwick and I want to know whether there will be any similarly ranked universities (top 10 for maths/maths and physics) taking part. I wouldn't go to any that are ranked lower than that otherwise I'd just be wasting much of the first year waiting for everyone to catch up. If there aren't any that good on there, I would have to take a gap year to get my exam results up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Do good universities take part in clearing? I'm not sure if I'll make my offers for Bath and Warwick and I want to know whether there will be any similarly ranked universities (top 10 for maths/maths and physics) taking part. I wouldn't go to any that are ranked lower than that otherwise I'd just be wasting much of the first year waiting for everyone to catch up. If there aren't any that good on there, I would have to take a gap year to get my exam results up.
    There are some good ones but it depends on how many applicants they get that meat their offers places like reading and southampton often have places on some courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    There are some good ones but it depends on how many applicants they get that meat their offers places like reading and southampton often have places on some courses.
    I wouldn't consider Reading. Southampton I probably wouldn't go to but may consider doing the first year there and then transfer if there's no other option. Either that or stay at college for another year.

I was thinking more of top 10 unis.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it I don't think I'd ever go to Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't consider Reading. Southampton I probably wouldn't go to but may consider doing the first year there and then transfer if there's no other option. Either that or stay at college for another year.

I was thinking more of top 10 unis.
    Well I don't know if Oxford or Cambridge will(possibly not if I'm honest). But top 10 Unis will have people missing their offers but as these places are very desirable you might as well put their clearing lines on speed dial before the lines open and if you miss your offer call asap.

If you don't ind me asking what are you hoping to study?

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know if Oxford or Cambridge will(possibly not if I'm honest). But top 10 Unis will have people missing their offers but as these places are very desirable you might as well put their clearing lines on speed dial before the lines open and if you miss your offer call asap.

Maths and physics. I don't think I'd get a definite rejection until a week later-the 20th, so from what you've said all of the places will be filled up by then.

ReputationRep:
    Whic universities are you interested in? 'Top 10' is to vague.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Whic universities are you interested in? 'Top 10' is to vague.
    I'm not sure exactly. Probably any that I can get into that are good enough. Preferably not far in the north or in London.

My original question has been answered, some of them do take part but I would be unlikely to get a place.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I know that Imperial has taken part in clearing in the past, but only for their less competitive courses (mainly biological sciences I think). Top 10 universities do take part though, like Exeter, Southampton, Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh although obviously it's less likely for competitive subjects like Maths and Physics.

Oxford and Cambridge don't take part in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure exactly. Probably any that I can get into that are good enough. Preferably not far in the north or in London.

My original question has been answered, some of them do take part but I would be unlikely to get a place.
    OK.

Out of interest I just had a look at the clearing lists for Maths for the past couple of years and there are perfectly good unis in there such as Manchester, Leeds, King's etc. This year, who knows?

ReputationRep:
    What does clearing mean? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    What does clearing mean? :confused:
    It's the January sales of the Ucas system, where people who miss offers can be matched up with university courses that don't have enough bums on seats.
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...s-use-clearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    It's the January sales of the Ucas system, where people who miss offers can be matched up with university courses that don't have enough bums on seats.
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...s-use-clearing
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    "Good" = none.. e.g. Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham...
    "Decent" = A few.. e.g Kent etc
    "Terrible/ Desperate for students" = Lots.. e.g Anything with metropolitan at the end
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    While clearing is about filling places I think if you miss your offer and get rejected from bath/warwick then your chances of finding a place in a similar uni are slim.

Basically if you fail to get the grades then your options in clearing are usually either rethink your subject or rethink your choice if university to somewhere less competitive/less picky.

The "top 10" unis in clearing/adjustment are generally after top notch students who changed their mind and are applying late or are looking to pick up applicants who did better than expected through adjustment. They're not usually in the market for bath rejects who missed their grades.

ReputationRep:
    As always, PQ is spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and physics. I don't think I'd get a definite rejection until a week later-the 20th, so from what you've said all of the places will be filled up by then.
    no you'll know by results day on results day if you've missed your offers or not most unis will let ucas know and track usually update before you get your results then it's a free for all. You also might get a place at your firm even if you miss your offer.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if you want to get into a top-10 uni then you really ought to be hitting your grades as they're bound to be the most competitive in the country so are (broadly speaking) the least likely to enter clearing. And the very top ones are quite unlikely to consider people who drop a grade or so :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    OK.

Out of interest I just had a look at the clearing lists for Maths for the past couple of years and there are perfectly good unis in there such as Manchester, Leeds, King's etc. This year, who knows?
    Those aren't good unis. I'd be looking at something better.

(Original post by iAmanze)
    "Good" = none.. e.g. Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham...
    "Decent" = A few.. e.g Kent etc
    "Terrible/ Desperate for students" = Lots.. e.g Anything with metropolitan at the end
    The "good" ones. It doesn't look like I've got much chance.

(Original post by PQ)
    While clearing is about filling places I think if you miss your offer and get rejected from bath/warwick then your chances of finding a place in a similar uni are slim.

Basically if you fail to get the grades then your options in clearing are usually either rethink your subject or rethink your choice if university to somewhere less competitive/less picky.

The "top 10" unis in clearing/adjustment are generally after top notch students who changed their mind and are applying late or are looking to pick up applicants who did better than expected through adjustment. They're not usually in the market for bath rejects who missed their grades.
    I would be a very good student. I'll far exceed the normal A-level requirements. I'll fail the GCSE requirements, so Bath and Warwick might give me an unattainable alternate A-level/STEP offer. I was wondering what my options are if that happens. If they do give me a very difficult offer, it looks like I'll have to stay at college for another year and reapply.
    I'll email them soon and see what their decision is. At the moment it doesn't look good.

Other than Cambridge, does anyone know of any good maths and physics courses that don't put much stock on English ability?

ReputationRep:
    no you'll know by results day on results day if you've missed your offers or not most unis will let ucas know and track usually update before you get your results then it's a free for all. You also might get a place at your firm even if you miss your offer.
    GCSE results day. GCSEs are much more important than A-levels when it comes to applying to uni.

Depending on what alternate offers I get for Bath and Warwick, I might know if I get in by the 13th, but if I fail to get in at all, I won't know until the 20th.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.