The Student Room Group

Good universities in clearing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swanseajack1
you are coming over as extremely arrogant. there are many very good unis you are rejecting. if you do not have grade c at English language then no uni will accept you and basically you would be rejected as you will have failed to meet the entry requirement. if you have grade c it will make no difference and you will get appropriate offers

Sorry I had a D when I applied and I got offers for all the unis I applied for and it's literature not language they want.
I wasn't applying for maths or physics so I'm not sure if this is relevant but in my experience Russell Group unis do have places in clearing you just have to be prepared to sit on the phone for ages because when they open at 8am they're already engaged. I got an offer from Manchester Uni through clearing and I know people who got into Cardiff and Sheffield (both RG) through clearing
Original post by morgan8002
GCSE results day. GCSEs are much more important than A-levels when it comes to applying to uni.

Depending on what alternate offers I get for Bath and Warwick, I might know if I get in by the 13th, but if I fail to get in at all, I won't know until the 20th.

That isn't necessarily true. Oxbridge is in a class unto itself because (usually) only the very very best are even encouraged to apply by their schools/colleges, but even they will seek to take a holistic look at applications they receive. AS results, naturally, will be of very substantial importance, as will the references from your teachers and your Personal Statement. You ought to focus on getting every aspect of your application as strong as it can possibly be.

I would agree with other people, though: without the grades to back up your aspirations, applying to top 5 / top 10 uni's might not be the best thing for you...
Do good universities take part in clearing? I'm not sure if I'll make my offers for Bath and Warwick and I want to know whether there will be any similarly ranked universities (top 10 for maths/maths and physics) taking part. I wouldn't go to any that are ranked lower than that otherwise I'd just be wasting much of the first year waiting for everyone to catch up. If there aren't any that good on there, I would have to take a gap year to get my exam results up.

:confused:

If you're so intelligent that first year for you will be waiting for people to catch up, then surely missing Warwick grades isn't even an option for you?
Original post by RachelAnne96
I wasn't applying for maths or physics so I'm not sure if this is relevant but in my experience Russell Group unis do have places in clearing you just have to be prepared to sit on the phone for ages because when they open at 8am they're already engaged. I got an offer from Manchester Uni through clearing and I know people who got into Cardiff and Sheffield (both RG) through clearing

What subject / with what final grades?
I got 3A* last year and was in clearing (rejected from medicine and declined offer from 5th choice UCL),

every single clearing course was crap.

the half decent ones like law at bristol were taken up within the 1st hour.

i made a decision to take a gap year because the clearing courses were crap. (and wanted a gap year anyway)
Reply 46
Original post by solarplexus
I got 3A* last year and was in clearing (rejected from medicine and declined offer from 5th choice UCL),

every single clearing course was crap.

the half decent ones like law at bristol were taken up within the 1st hour.

i made a decision to take a gap year because the clearing courses were crap. (and wanted a gap year anyway)

Was Bristol in clearing for Law last year (not adjustment)? I thought they only had a few less popular courses like languages and a couple others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, there will be, but with at least a couple of grades higher than their normal entry requirements, given the other well qualified students in clearing.

So, not really. Clearing is horrible. Make sure your insurance is truly an insurance, not like me :lol: My firm was Sheffield AAA and my insurance was Imperial AAB. Then again I wouldn't use my case as a typical case. I had Queen Mary in Clearing with their usual offer BBB but for Clearing it turned into AAB, which left me with London Met :lol: (I didn't actually go to London Met)

Chillax though!
Do good universities take part in clearing? I'm not sure if I'll make my offers for Bath and Warwick and I want to know whether there will be any similarly ranked universities (top 10 for maths/maths and physics) taking part. I wouldn't go to any that are ranked lower than that otherwise I'd just be wasting much of the first year waiting for everyone to catch up. If there aren't any that good on there, I would have to take a gap year to get my exam results up.

So you actually hold offers from Bath & Warwick? What are those offers?

I have to say that you come across as incredibly arrogant saying things like "I wouldn't go to any that are ranked lower than that otherwise I'd just be wasting much of the first year waiting for everyone to catch up."
Would you think I was incredibly arrogant if I said that I didn't want to attend the same University as someone who couldn't even manage to get a C grade at GCSE English but thinks themselves to be clever enough to apply to Bath or Warwick?
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question -

Last June I achieved AAAB in my A-levels, and am going to resit the History (B grade) with the aim of getting an A/A*
I've applied to universities for which I have the grades (to study English), but if I get an A* (changing my grades to A*AAA), which good universities would be in clearing/adjustment (don't mean to sound elitist), such as UCL/Bristol/Durham? Any experiences/advice would be helpful. X
Original post by jonathanemptage
You'll find A-levels actually matter more

Remember you applied and they offered you a place so you are in with a good chance many palaces still confirm a place on a course even if you miss the offer. why won't you know until the 20th?

I hope A-levels matter more. That's GCSE results day. As I said, GCSEs are sometimes more important than A-levels, but I hope you're right.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Sorry I had a D when I applied and I got offers for all the unis I applied for and it's literature not language they want.

You'd get offers, but not necessarily get in. It's language they want, not literature.
Original post by молодой гений
:confused:
If you're so intelligent that first year for you will be waiting for people to catch up, then surely missing Warwick grades isn't even an option for you?

My mathematics and physics ability would be good enough to get in under normal circumstances. I still don't know what purely A-level/STEP offer they will give me if any.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamjamjamT
So you actually hold offers from Bath & Warwick? What are those offers?

I have to say that you come across as incredibly arrogant saying things like "I wouldn't go to any that are ranked lower than that otherwise I'd just be wasting much of the first year waiting for everyone to catch up."
Would you think I was incredibly arrogant if I said that I didn't want to attend the same University as someone who couldn't even manage to get a C grade at GCSE English but thinks themselves to be clever enough to apply to Bath or Warwick?

A*AA, plus C in GCSE English. Obviously it will be much a much higher A-level/STEP offer when I don't get the English.

That has been mentioned.

It depends on how relevant GCSE English is to your course.
(edited 9 years ago)
A*AA, plus C in GCSE English. Obviously it will be much a much higher A-level/STEP offer when I don't get the English.

That has been mentioned.

Well, if I were you, I would be doing everything that I possibly could to ensure that I got the C in English.

Then again, you are that good at Maths you should be able be able to get to get the required STEP grade no? :wink:
Original post by JamjamjamT
Well, if I were you, I would be doing everything that I possibly could to ensure that I got the C in English.

Then again, you are that good at Maths you should be able be able to get to get the required STEP grade no? :wink:

That's easier said than done. I don't really think there's anything I can do to pass.

There's a limit though. If they asked for A*A*A*A*A* plus S, S, S in STEP I wouldn't even have a chance. Obviously my limit lies somewhere in the middle.

That has been mentioned.

If you don't get the C in GCSE English - They won't give you an alternative offer say A*A*A*S in STEP, they will just outright reject you on results day.
Original post by Mathsz0r
If you don't get the C in GCSE English - They won't give you an alternative offer say A*A*A*S in STEP, they will just outright reject you on results day.

I've acknowledged elsewhere on the thread that that's a definite possibility. I'm hoping for the best though.
Original post by Flying Cookie
Yes, there will be, but with at least a couple of grades higher than their normal entry requirements, given the other well qualified students in clearing.

So, not really. Clearing is horrible. Make sure your insurance is truly an insurance, not like me :lol: My firm was Sheffield AAA and my insurance was Imperial AAB. Then again I wouldn't use my case as a typical case. I had Queen Mary in Clearing with their usual offer BBB but for Clearing it turned into AAB, which left me with London Met :lol: (I didn't actually go to London Met)

Chillax though!

I won't get a true insurance choice.
I

You'd get offers, but not necessarily get in. It's language they want, not literature.

As a graduate I assure you most unis want literature mainly because they want you to understand what 3rd person means and how to write a technical report which is a literature skill. Oh and I got in.
I

AS a graduate I assure you most unis want literature mainly because they want you to understand what 3rd person means and how to write a technical report which is a literature skill. oh and I got in
Reply 59
That's easier said than done. I don't really think there's anything I can do to pass.

There's a limit though. If they asked for A*A*A*A*A* plus S, S, S in STEP I wouldn't even have a chance. Obviously my limit lies somewhere in the middle.

Out of curiosity, what makes you so sure you can't get the C?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending