Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to do a year abroad studying undergrad compsci with placement year ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi sdvds

You can do a placement year working, which can be abroad, but because of the nature of the degree, study abroad isn't part of the course.

Hope this answers your question.
    Vicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi sdvds

You can do a placement year working, which can be abroad, but because of the nature of the degree, study abroad isn't part of the course.

Hope this answers your question.
    Vicky
    Could you give me the link for that please, as I didn't see that when choosing the compsci course on the department website.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    You can find the info here - just scroll down the page:

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergr...puter-science/

The placement year can be anywhere within a suitable industry, if working abroad is something that you are particularly keen on, that's what you'd look for when searching for a suitable placement.

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    so does the university help in getting year long work placement abroad or is it my own responsibility ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by sdvds)
    so does the university help in getting year long work placement abroad or is it my own responsibility ?
    Hi sdvds,

Responsibility for finding a suitable placement does ultimately rest with you, but assistance is given by the Department’s Professional Placement Tutor, who has contacts with a wide range of industrial and commercial organisations.

There is also the Careers and Employability Centre, which among other services can help you by providing feedback on your applications and CVs, as well as list any relevant placement and job vacancies on their online service.

I hope this is of some help!
    Jarrah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi sdvds,

Responsibility for finding a suitable placement does ultimately rest with you, but assistance is given by the Department’s Professional Placement Tutor, who has contacts with a wide range of industrial and commercial organisations.

There is also the Careers and Employability Centre, which among other services can help you by providing feedback on your applications and CVs, as well as list any relevant placement and job vacancies on their online service.

I hope this is of some help!
    Jarrah
    Great! One question though, if it's ultimately my responsibility to find a placement then why do I need to pay an extra £1800 for a placement year? Is this fee going to effect me at the start of my uni year and has it been confirmed?

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/finance/ug2015/fees/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by sdvds)
    Great! One question though, if it's ultimately my responsibility to find a placement then why do I need to pay an extra £1800 for a placement year? Is this fee going to effect me at the start of my uni year and has it been confirmed?

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/finance/ug2015/fees/
    It's not an "extra" on top of your Tuition Fee, it's instead of it. So you pay (approx) £1800 instead of £9000 for the placement year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's not an "extra" on top of your Tuition Fee, it's instead of it. So you pay (approx) £1800 instead of £9000 for the placement year.
    are you a Loughborough staff who can help me? or some random commentator
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by sdvds)
    are you a Loughborough staff who can help me? or some random commentator
    This forum isn't just for Lboro staff...

ReputationRep:
    This forum isn't just for Lboro staff...
    my question is ...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi sdvds

jneill is absolutely correct in what he says. The fee is because during your placement year you still have regular contact and support with a tutor throughout your placement year.

Vicky

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.