Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really confused on how to analyse poems and how to structure my answers when writing about them. My school is utter crap and have very bad teachers. Can anybody help me
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doc.dolittle)
    I am really confused on how to analyse poems and how to structure my answers when writing about them. My school is utter crap and have very bad teachers. Can anybody help me
    Thanks
    Mr Bruff's youtube channel covers all the poems in the 'Relationships' section of the AQA poetry anthology; it should show you what you need to do to analyse a poem: here.

ReputationRep:
    I always found that the best way to analyse anything was to use 'PEEFWE' Point, Evidence, Explain, Further, Word, Explain. It allows you to easily use quotations and analyse them. We were always taught to include at least 5 PEEFWEs in essays, so for each paragraphs focus on something specific, e.g, imagery, structure, tone, themes etc. Poems are super easy to analyse for structure as well which gets you bonus marks. Just look for a rhyme scheme and kind of manipulate that to focus on the theme or mood of the poem if you get what I mean. Just always remember to go into a lot of depth - in English nothing sounds wrong. Just try to explain every connotation for every word in quotations.

I hope this has helped, I'm not very good at explaining

ReputationRep:
    Use SLIMS Subject, language, imagery, mood and structure x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PEEL point, evidence, explain and link is good to use for english literature

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    My best advice ~

For structure use: PEE (Point, Evidence and Explain), or PQC (Point, Quote, Comment).

When analysing poems: Remember to analyse every part of the point using the PEE/PQC technique and giving the explanation at the end of the paragraph as to why the poet may have included the metaphor/adjective etc. in that line.

E.g. - Clown Punk: The punk is described as being "like a basket of washing that got up". This conjures an image of a man who is untidy. Armitage uses this simile to show the reader that this man may be homeless and depressed, therefore he being portrayed as a 'basket of washing' symbolises an individual who does not take his personal hygiene into importance.

(Or something to that effect)

Give me a shout if you ever need any more help!

ReputationRep:
    i still dont get it it is so confusing i can not remember how to do effect on a peefwe

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me my mind has gone blank

ReputationRep:
    What is the poem section( power and conflict)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.