Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

So, it's looking quite likely now that I will choose Oxford Brookes as my firm choice for next September (Unless Exeter reply with an offer, in that case I will be torn between the two). Anyway, I have been reading through old threads on the subject of online gaming at university, and apparently it's not uncommon for them to block access to services like Xbox live, PSN and Steam in the halls. For me, this would be a great shame as I currently enjoy playing online games with my friends at least a few nights a week. I wouldn't like to loose that, so....

What is the situation with online gaming in the Oxford brookes halls? Do they block Steam? I was hoping there would be other gamers on here who could help

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Surely someone here has tried PC gaming at Oxford Brookes?

ReputationRep:
    Wow man that sucks if they do block access to those online services. They shouldnt be allowed to do that at all. I know at Manchester University(mainly because im there) that they dont block access to those services. If they did, it would make my gaming rig welp to no end

ReputationRep:
    I know students with XBOXs in OB halls and there are no problems.

It's a great uni ... which halls are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    I know students with XBOXs in OB halls and there are no problems.

It's a great uni ... which halls are you looking at?

Oh okay that's good to know. If they allow Xbox live then i'd be amazed if they blocked steam. Thank you

And I haven't even started looking at accommodation yet, I will once I get all my offers (Just waiting for Exeter now).

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is a great uni too - what are you hoping to study?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is a great uni too - what are you hoping to study?

Geography BA at Exeter, Geography combined with Sociology at Oxford Brookes.

I'm super excited about starting in September, although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really anxious as well.

ReputationRep:
    They are very different places - Exeter has one main campus. Is Geography taught on the Headington campus at OB?

ReputationRep:
    They are very different places - Exeter has one main campus. Is Geography taught on the Headington campus at OB?

Yep, both Sociology and Geography are taught at the Headington campus so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to stay in one place. I would consider that a good thing

Do you study at Brookes?

ReputationRep:
    No, I studied Maths at Exeter but did my PGCE at Westminster College which is now part of Brookes.

Some of my ex-students go to Brookes ..

If you live in Hall at OB you get a free bus pass which is useful ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a first year at OB doing Computer Science. Steam is not blocked here at all, though I can't speak for XB Live. If you're interested, there is also a gaming society which does a few LAN parties throughout the year (though I must say, it is mainly focused on Dota 2 and L4D2). Also, my friend and I have just created the Counter-Strike Brookes society, if team FPS games are more your sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choppie)
    I'm currently a first year at OB doing Computer Science. Steam is not blocked here at all, though I can't speak for XB Live. If you're interested, there is also a gaming society which does a few LAN parties throughout the year (though I must say, it is mainly focused on Dota 2 and L4D2). Also, my friend and I have just created the Counter-Strike Brookes society, if team FPS games are more your sort of thing.
    Oh hey, thank you for the solid answer! I'm very glad that steam isn't blocked, but I do have one question...

Is the internet connection good enough to play games and talk to people on-line without huge amount of lag? I can imagine that a flat shared between 5-10 people wouldn't be the best if everyone was trying to use the internet at once.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tellurian)
    Oh hey, thank you for the solid answer! I'm very glad that steam isn't blocked, but I do have one question...

Is the internet connection good enough to play games and talk to people on-line without huge amount of lag? I can imagine that a flat shared between 5-10 people wouldn't be the best if everyone was trying to use the internet at once.

Thanks
    Ok, for the internet do not go for Slade Park. I am currently there, and oh dear me. Unlike other halls, we have to pay separately for our internet (£160 upfront for 4 Mbits/s for the year). So with a maximum download speed of 470ish kB/s, which is throttled to about 200 kB/s between 5PM and midnight, playing games will be ok, but downloading them will be terrible.

As for the other halls (other than Dorset House, that is), the wired connection is upwards of 300 Mbits/s, which is superb (you won't get nearly this fast at a house, so enjoy it for the time you're in halls). The wifi (Eduroam) is not terribly good (speed is fine, but ping is normally higher than 200ms. Civ V games can become very annoying ), so do set up the wired connection as soon as the university tells you how.

Your flatmates using the network shouldn't affect your usage, as a university's network doesn't work in the same way as a home network, and is able to handle one hell of a lot more usage at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choppie)
    Ok, for the internet do not go for Slade Park. I am currently there, and oh dear me. Unlike other halls, we have to pay separately for our internet (£160 upfront for 4 Mbits/s for the year). So with a maximum download speed of 470ish kB/s, which is throttled to about 200 kB/s between 5PM and midnight, playing games will be ok, but downloading them will be terrible.

As for the other halls (other than Dorset House, that is), the wired connection is upwards of 300 Mbits/s, which is superb (you won't get nearly this fast at a house, so enjoy it for the time you're in halls). The wifi (Eduroam) is not terribly good (speed is fine, but ping is normally higher than 200ms. Civ V games can become very annoying ), so do set up the wired connection as soon as the university tells you how.

Your flatmates using the network shouldn't affect your usage, as a university's network doesn't work in the same way as a home network, and is able to handle one hell of a lot more usage at the same time.

Thanks for the detailed response!

That's very good to hear, I will make a note not to go to Slade Park or Dorset house. At the moment I am living in the countryside in Somerset, so I'm very used to having around 400 kB/s and having to reserve a whole day to download a game :P Jumping to 300 Mbits/s will be insane, It's yet another thing to look forward too.

And just to make sure. Do the Crescent and Paul kent halls have good internet as well? The fact that they are cheaper, look older and are right next to Slade Park make me think that they might have a similar connection.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the detailed response!

That's very good to hear, I will make a note not to go to Slade Park or Dorset house. At the moment I am living in the countryside in Somerset, so I'm very used to having around 400 kB/s and having to reserve a whole day to download a game :P Jumping to 300 Mbits/s will be insane, It's yet another thing to look forward too.

And just to make sure. Do the Crescent and Paul kent halls have good internet as well? The fact that they are cheaper, look older and are right next to Slade Park make me think that they might have a similar connection.

Thanks
    Slade Park and Dorset house are private halls owned by CRM Students, but have a partnership with Oxford Brookes University, and (I believe, as there are some students here) the University of Oxford. The universities themselves have no power over the halls.

Clive Booth, Cheney, Paul Kent, Crescent, Wheatley Campus halls (I forget the name of these), and those on Harcourt Hill campus are all owned by Oxford Brookes University, and as such share all the perks the university does, including the internet. The halls speeds can range quite drastically (Wheatley is between 150 and 250 Mbits/s, whereas Clive Booth and Cheney, which are the biggest halls, appear to reach 300 quite happily), but will always be far more than adequate for your day-to-day downloading of games.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, when I lived in Clive Booth Postgraduate Centre last year, I got 800mb/s at one point.

ReputationRep:
    I lived at Slade Park last year and I brought my own PC and my Xbox One from home, had absolutely no issues with gaming, multiplayer or Xbox Live.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

So, it's looking quite likely now that I will choose Oxford Brookes as my firm choice for next September (Unless Exeter reply with an offer, in that case I will be torn between the two). Anyway, I have been reading through old threads on the subject of online gaming at university, and apparently it's not uncommon for them to block access to services like Xbox live, PSN and Steam in the halls. For me, this would be a great shame as I currently enjoy playing online games with my friends at least a few nights a week. I wouldn't like to loose that, so....

What is the situation with online gaming in the Oxford brookes halls? Do they block Steam? I was hoping there would be other gamers on here who could help

Thanks!
    Hey i'm also looking to go to Oxford Brookes (hoping to study Law)

What PC gaming are you into?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    So I'm at Brookes and in halls. Just set up my wired internet in my room, which is all well and good but it wouldn't connect to my Xbox One... I copied across a few settings from my laptop to the Xbox and I've managed to get it to connect to Xbox live, but it will not connect to any game servers. Has anyone any idea how I can get around this? This type of stuff is way above my knowledge base :-(

Cheers

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.