Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

3-minute research presentation? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for a studentship next week (in the biological sciences) and I've been asked to do a 3 minute presentation using only one slideon a research project I've undertaken. I've prepared a shortened version of the project presentation I did for my industrial year, but it just feels like far too much info to present in 3 minutes

Anyone ever had to do anything like this? How would you go about it?

ReputationRep:
    As always, you should spend about half your time on explaining the relevance of your research (what problem are you aiming to solve, how does solving it make the world a better place, why would you choose this approach, etc.). Given the short time you have, you want to spend the other half on outlining your most important results, your conclusion and reiterating the awesomeness of your solution.

They do not expect you to be able to fit your whole project in three minutes, but they do expect you to be convincing and see your research in perspective.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'd have the following bullet points on my slide:

Research question:
    Methods:
    Conclusions:
    Impact/future work:

I'd probably also have 2-3 extra slides with some data in case they want to talk through some of it and be prepared to talk about your methods/choice of methods/limitations.

ReputationRep:
    Three minutes is NOTHING. And they're not really remotely interested in your previous project (although if they are they can ask for a copy of the whole project), they are much more interested in your potential as a researcher.

I would present a background slide as outlined above, display that, and then not really refer to it. They can read - no point in wasting time reading it to them. It'll put your talk in context.

Then talk about one aspect for the three minutes - maybe one particular finding, why it was important in the context of other research, and how you'd like to develop it in future.

Do not try to summarise the whole lot, there's no point as it isn't possible. An engaging relaxed three minutes on the most interesting bit will create a far better impression than a rushed presenter speaking so quickly in the last 30 seconds that the audience feels uncomfortable

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I have an interview for a studentship next week (in the biological sciences) and I've been asked to do a 3 minute presentation using only one slideon a research project I've undertaken. I've prepared a shortened version of the project presentation I did for my industrial year, but it just feels like far too much info to present in 3 minutes

Anyone ever had to do anything like this? How would you go about it?
    Look up 3-minute thesis on youtube or 3MT. THere are people on there who summarise their entire PhD in 3 minutes! Hope that helps and good luck!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.