Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to know if your drink has been spiked? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys and girls went for night out last night and I think my drink was spiked I was drinking shandy then all of a sudden i just felt so weird the thing is I only had half a pint of shandy before this happened and just felt well drunk but worse of all I felt sick dizzy and belive someone used my bank card as money has come out which I didn't use I want to go somewhere and get things checked out but dnt kno were

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to the police, who may or may not be able to do something (but it's always best to report things like this anyway, so they can keep a closer eye on the place), and also your bank, explaining what happened (you should be able to get your money back).

Hope you feel better soon OP.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    When I had my drink spiked a few years ago by a 'friend'. I only had 2 JD and cokes before I took the tainted drink so I wasn't drunk or even tipsy at that point and then I took that drink and then within 15 mins I could barely stand, I was close to puking, I had hot flushes, I was panicking and my vision went all weird. That is when he tried it on with me. Luckily I managed to get home safely and never saw that person again. He later admitted a few months later he put something in my drink but never said what it was.

I would definitely report what happened to the police plus whatever pub or club you had your drink in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    When I had my drink spiked a few years ago but a 'friend'. I only had 2 JD and cokes before I took the tainted drink so I wasn't drunk or even tipsy at that point and then I took that drink and then within 15 mins I could barely stand, I was close to puking, I had hot flushes, I was panicking and my vision went all weird. That is when he tried it on with me. Luckily I managed to get home safely and never saw that person again. He later admitted a few months later he put something in my drink but never said what it was.

I would definitely report what happened to the police plus whatever pub or club you had your drink in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What an absolute creep. Hope you reported him to the police, uni, and anyone else you could think of!

(Original post by Glenzo)
    Hi guys and girls went for night out last night and I think my drink was spiked I was drinking shandy then all of a sudden i just felt so weird the thing is I only had half a pint of shandy before this happened and just felt well drunk but worse of all I felt sick dizzy and belive someone used my bank card as money has come out which I didn't use I want to go somewhere and get things checked out but dnt kno were
    You can tell by the fact it tastes like **** also you get hit with a drunkness that far exceeds what you drank....

ReputationRep:
    Drink spiking is something that barely ever happens. It is possible your drink was spiked, but it is far more likely that you just don't know your limits, or hadn't eaten that day, or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Drink spiking is something that barely ever happens. It is possible your drink was spiked, but it is far more likely that you just don't know your limits, or hadn't eaten that day, or whatever.
    Not confirming or denying this, but I'm curious as to how you can possibly know? I guess you could surreptitiously take a sample of everyone's drinks in a few bars and clubs, but otherwise how would you get evidence that's anything but anecdotal?

ReputationRep:
    Many studies have pointed towards this ^^^

High chances are that your drink wasn't spiked. The only way you'd know for sure is if you drank literally 0 alcohol all night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Not confirming or denying this, but I'm curious as to how you can possibly know? I guess you could surreptitiously take a sample of everyone's drinks in a few bars and clubs, but otherwise how would you get evidence that's anything but anecdotal?
    There's been studies which have collected data from blood tests of 'drink spike victims' at hospitals and police stations. Barely any had been spiked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    There's been studies which have collected data from blood tests of 'drink spike victims' at hospitals and police stations. Barely any had been spiked.
    Ah ok. Worth OP getting checked out then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Ah ok. Worth OP getting checked out then?
    Absoloutly. My point however was that it is pretty impossible to self diagnose a spiking.

The OP should certainly contact the police if they believe their bank card has been used by someone else.

You don't; that's why people do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glenzo)
    Most of the time you wouldn't realise but the colour may slightly change and there may be small fizzling bubbles depending on how long ago it was put in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't anyone teach you to never leave your drink unattended?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)

High chances are that your drink wasn't spiked. The only way you'd know for sure is if you drank literally 0 alcohol all night.
    Both of these are correct.

ReputationRep:
    Drink it and monitor your response over the next 1 to 12 hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    If you're talking about the Cardiff 2005 trial - none of them had been.

Generally in these tests, almost everyone comes back with only alcohol, and a some come back with recreational self-administered drugs. DFSA is almost unheard of in the UK and there has been only one prosecution.

I would suggest it's absolutely true that this is almost always due to a "bad day" and that it's easier for the person to believe they've been drugged.

Being a bloke, I find it almost impossible that anyone would want to commit DFSA on me - so when I have the occassional off-day - I have two drinks and feeling out of it - my first thought is not that someone has slipped me a roofie.

ReputationRep:
    Go all james bond OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNntwSjOwo

But serioiusly go to the police

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)

Drinking half a pint of shandy isn't massively different to drinking no alcohol all night though in terms of ability to render one drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Drinking half a pint of shandy isn't massively different to drinking no alcohol all night though in terms of ability to render one drunk.
    Funnily enough that's what pretty much all the study participants said as well. Claimed they had had hardly anything to drink and so must have been spiked.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.