The Student Room Group

Psychology or maths A-Level for medicine?

I was wondering, along with Biology, Chemistry and History(all of which i will take through to A2) - should Psychology or Maths be my fourth?
I know that universities say that Maths is not a necessity for Medicine - will it actually hinder my application?
For the BMAT, will AS level maths be more beneficial for the Maths section?
I do prefer psychology over maths, and feel i will achieve a higher grade but is psych considered a softer subject to medical school?

Thanks
I'd say go for Maths.
Bear in mind Medicine is highly competitive. Choosing Maths as one of your choices will boost your application, as it is considered a strong subject.
Obviously you can still get in with Psychology, but bear in mind you'll be competing against candidates who probably achieved AAAA at AS level in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and probably another strong subject such as a language, history or physics.
However, don't do maths if you think it'll be too much work. You should choose it if you believe you can at least get a B at AS.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
I'd say go for Maths.
Bear in mind Medicine is highly competitive. Choosing Maths as one of your choices will boost your application, as it is considered a strong subject.
Obviously you can still get in with Psychology, but bear in mind you'll be competing against candidates who probably achieved AAAA at AS level in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and probably another strong subject such as a language, history or physics.
However, don't do maths if you think it'll be too much work. You should choose it if you believe you can at least get a B at AS.

Do you think that id be at a disadvantage to an applicant doing bio, chem, maths and history if i was doing bio chem history and psych?
Either are fine. Not having Maths will not hinder your Medicine application unless you're applying to Cambridge, so chose psychology if that interests you more.

Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Choosing Maths as one of your choices will boost your application, as it is considered a strong subject.

Having Maths won't boost a Medicine application. :no:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Either are fine. Not having Maths will not hinder your Medicine application unless you're applying to Cambridge, so chose psychology if that interests you more.

Having Maths won't boost a Medicine application. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You didn't reply to my Q on your Gcse and BMAT grades in a earlier thread 😞
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
You didn't reply to my Q on your Gcse and BMAT grades in a earlier thread

Which question was this? I end up forgetting who's asking me questions. :tongue:
Original post by usycool1
Which question was this? I end up forgetting who's asking me questions. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I asked what we're your Gcse grades and UKCAT/BMAT.

Quick Reply

Latest