SC announcement: Resolution 2006/32 Watch

Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
The resultion, found below, has passed the SC by a count of 5-0. Iceland (away) and China failed to vote.

AS's resolution
The General Assembly of The United Nations,

Deeply disturbed by the ongoing humanitarian disaster in the Darfur region,

Bearing in mind the Sudanese government's refusal to allow international aid to the region and support for the Janjawid,

Noting with deep concern the recent expulsion of the UN envoy to Khartoum,

Having considered the apparent insufficiency of the existing (M)UN force in the region,

1. Calls on the Sudanese government to co-operate with the UN in order to minimise this humanitarian crisis;

2. Authorises that further action be taken without the consent of the Sudanese government if they fail to comply;

3. Recommends that a further UN peacekeeping force be sent to the Darfur region to reinforce the existing one, its composition to be decided at a later date.

4. Requests all nations that feel able to do so to pledge a number of troops to be assigned to the Darfur region, no matter how small the number.

Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
India welcomes the news and in accordance pledges 800 troops to the Darfur Region.
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Zimbabwe applauds this resolution, and stands by its original offer of 500.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Australia welcomes the passing of this resolution.

We will work with the mission to provide logical or administrative support to the mission, but once again would like to make clear that any peacekeeping contingent can be ruled out.
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Republic of France is pleased at the passing of this resolution.
Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
China would have abstained on this issue.

We have decided that although at this moment in time we won't pledge troops, but we will carry on pressurising the Sudanese government into giving UN troops a right to be there. Once this has been achieved, we will send our own troops in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (534)
37.82%
No - but I will (110)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (672)
47.59%

Watched Threads