The Student Room Group

Gcse subject dropping

Are there any compulsory subjects ? like i know i cant pass the mathematics exam no matter how much i try so if i dont pass it so can i still get into a clg For my a level nd after it will uni ask for mathematics results for admission ?
You will need to have a C or above in maths for A Levels and for Uni. However if you do not pass maths, many colleges allow you to retake GCSE maths alongside your A levels or course of study.
Hiya,
In general maths, at least one English and at least single science is compulsory and it will effect your chances of getting into a levels/university if you don't have at least a c in these compulsory subjects. Therefore it's really important that you prioritise with getting a c in maths by asking for help/getting tuition/doing extra independent work otherwise you'll probably have to retake it anyway. Good luck- I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine :smile:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23925033

If you don't get at least a grade C in maths you will have to take it next year; see the news article above that I've linked.
Reply 4
Is there really not a single way to pass gce without it ?
Original post by CeCe_Lovato
Is there really not a single way to pass gce without it ?

All the subjects are separate in GCSE so if you don't pass maths you won't fail all of the GCSEs but you need to be able to pass maths as it is a core subject.

For example you could get a c in all your other subjects but get a D in maths (don't pass) it means that you've passed all your other GCSEs but will have to retake just maths to see if you can get a c :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest