The Student Room Group

The hitchhiker's guide to A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah sounds good. Peace✌️
Original post by Katniss15
I'm in year 12 so I'm half way through AS. I think some units are really nice like core one, mechanics and decisions. I was really struggling with stats but I'm starting to get it (with a bit of help). How are you guys doing, any subjects that your struggling with?

Well, I certainly need to do some work with maths, but the rest I am finding okay... Albeit I am being told to drop a subject which I am not too happy about...
Reply 22
Wow, what are they asking you to drop? or do you decide?
Wow, what are they asking you to drop? or do you decide?

I decide, but unfortunately it will probably have to be economics even though that is my best subject; all because I want to go into engineering
Original post by BryonyG98
I decide, but unfortunately it will probably have to be economics even though that is my best subject; all because I want to go into engineering

but then why do you want to study Eng if Econ's your best subject?

tbh dropping a subject is the one once you make it to Y13.
Reply 25
That's a shame, I don't see why you have to drop an A-level if you don't want to and you can manage it, surely it's more beneficial to do more?
That's a shame, I don't see why you have to drop an A-level if you don't want to and you can manage it, surely it's more beneficial to do more?

Original post by Guills on wheels
but then why do you want to study Eng if Econ's your best subject?

tbh dropping a subject is the one once you make it to Y13.

The problem is that I didnt do too well in my mocks for maths and now my teachers are worried...

I have always wanted to go into engineering and just took economics because it sounded fun and interesting and I have really found it to be so, however I still thoroughly enjoy physics, maths and chemistry which is why I want to go into engineering
Reply 27
The problem is that I didnt do too well in my mocks for maths and now my teachers are worried...

I have always wanted to go into engineering and just took economics because it sounded fun and interesting and I have really found it to be so, however I still thoroughly enjoy physics, maths and chemistry which is why I want to go into engineering

I'm sure if you got your maths grades up they'd see that you're capable of handling 5 A2 levels. however universities typically only look are your best three subjects and if doing 5 means that you get 5A's instead of 4A*s then you may not be able to apply to top universities
Original post by Jinay
I'm sure if you got your maths grades up they'd see that you're capable of handling 5 A2 levels. however universities typically only look are your best three subjects and if doing 5 means that you get 5A's instead of 4A*s then you may not be able to apply to top universities

I definitely wouldnt take 5 at A2, but it just seems like a waste to have done 3/4 of the economics syllabus and not get anything from it...

are you doing further maths? if not, and you defo want to do eng, then drop chem.

how well?
Original post by Jinay

There's no point in even doing 4. Cambridge actually prefer three. I know, because I asked.

it's not beneficial at all :')
Reply 32
At all? I'm sure that doing 5 A-Level and getting A's in them would be more impressive than a student who has three A's. And other Universities expected applicants to have more than three As-levels. I know, I asked.
Reply 33
Most definitely: you're strongly advised to have 4AS levels but 3A*s at A2 would put you in better stead than an applicant with A*A*AA
Reply 34
Day One

Today I have made a revision timetable and a list of everything I need to do. I have done some Chemistry revision with Jinay and watched a few revision videos here https://www.youtube.com/user/Jsouassou/playlists - I have found these quite useful.

Reply 35
Oh yeah I forgot to say, I will be posting a picture of the revision notes I do so if anyone likes the look of them and wants a copy just PM me and I'll get them sorted :smile: enjoy!
Reply 36
Day two

I had a chemistry end of module test today, I thought it went quite well but we shall see when I get my marks back.

I have also started making core two revision notes, by using mymaths and my class work as a guide.

Tomorrow I will get my mock results back very nervous!
Reply 37
Day three

Today I got my mock results back. They are as follows

chemistry - U
further maths - C
maths - A
physics - A

Clearly I need to do a lot of work in chemistry :s-smilie:
Reply 38
Day three

Today I got my mock results back. They are as follows

chemistry - U
further maths - C
maths - A
physics - A

Clearly I need to do a lot of work in chemistry :s-smilie:

At least you know there not all below A grade. You only really have two subjects to focus on :smile:
Reply 39
Yeah I guess your right, and the further maths paper we sat was pretty hard. I going to take this as motivation to go on to get those grades I need!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending