The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is nottingham safe?

Hey,

So I'm thinking of having Notts as my firm but I've been told it's not a nice place to live in and it's very unsafe. Is this true? And what is living in Nottingham like? Is it true it's for low income people?
Reply 1
yh
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
low income people are really scary aren't they? :eek:
It's like any other large British city.
Want to know the answer to the OP's question!
Nottingham used to have an awful reputation, especially gun crime. But over the past few years it has seriously turned over a new life and it's such a lovely place. And the campus is beautiful (assuming you've applied to the University of Nottingham and not Nottingham Trent!). So don't worry, Notts is lovely :smile:
Original post by daisystones
Nottingham used to have an awful reputation, especially gun crime. But over the past few years it has seriously turned over a new life and it's such a lovely place. And the campus is beautiful (assuming you've applied to the University of Nottingham and not Nottingham Trent!). So don't worry, Notts is lovely :smile:

Got an offer from University of Nottingham!Persuade me!
Original post by Skill Twix
Got an offer from University of Nottingham!Persuade me!

I've got an offer too, and it will be my insurance. I live in the next city along so visit quite often. If you've been to look around and you liked it then I'm sure you don't need persuading :tongue:
Original post by daisystones
I've got an offer too, and it will be my insurance. I live in the next city along so visit quite often. If you've been to look around and you liked it then I'm sure you don't need persuading :tongue:

Well alright!It's got a good reputation for my course(Economics).6th in the UK!
Reply 9
I live in Nottingham and don't believe it's as bad as it once was. However, it doesn't mean you get on the wrong side of people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
It's like any city, it has its dodgy areas, but as long as you avoid them its perfectly safe. Luckily, the bad areas (Meadows) are the other side of the city to the uni. I'm a 3rd year and have had no issues; yes there's always anecdotal horror stories, but on the whole I feel pretty safe walking around town.
One of the safest and best cities in the world.
Original post by nottinghamfan
Hey,

So I'm thinking of having Notts as my firm but I've been told it's not a nice place to live in and it's very unsafe. Is this true? And what is living in Nottingham like? Is it true it's for low income people?

Hello! I studied at NTU and lived in Notts for 4 years, until Nov 2014. I have lived in different areas of Notts (City Centre, Sherwood, St.Ann's, The Park Estate) and they all vary massively. For instance, I would not recommend living in St.Ann's. Although I was not personally subject to anything dangerous, my housemate was mugged on our street. On the other hand, that is the ONLY scary incident I have known of in my time there. The Park Estate is where I lived last, that area is seriously nice. So what I'm trying to say is that it all depends on the area! Like any other city.

I personally LOVE Notts. The transport links are great, the nightlife is diverse and there is a lot to do. I have applied to do a second degree starting in Sept, this time at UoN, so I am obviously a fan!

Hope this helps, and all the best to you!

S x
I go to UoN - as with most big cities there will always be incidents, but the student areas of Lenton/Dunkirk/Beeston in and around the University are all nice places to live in and I have not once encountered a problem. There can be odd folk in the city centre but coming from Leicester I'm a big fan of the city compared to back home! If you go to UoN, I doubt you will need to encounter any of the 'dodgy' areas (no idea about Trent, sorry) and will be living around students. I did have some doubts about coming here based on the reputation of 'Shottingham' but honestly, after 1.5 years I love it here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending