Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    that sounds different to our sconcing. It's basically a version of 'I have never...' One person stands up and says "I sconce anyone who is/has ever..." and anyone who has then stands up and downs their drink. Only rule is that you are not allowed to self-sconce.
    Your college clearly doesn't know how to host a good sconcing...

ReputationRep:
    What's the best abbr for supervision?

I've heard supers, 'vishes, 'soups'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Your college clearly doesn't know how to host a good sconcing...
    :eek: On behalf of my college, I am insulted!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: On behalf of my college, I am insulted!
    On behalf of your college, I am also insulted by the poor level of sconcing.

(Original post by Helenia)
    Pennying: drinking game, mostly played at formal hall, but also seen elsewhere. If someone drops a penny in your glass of wine, you have to down it. Various colleges have slightly different rules for the game (e.g. at Clare you cannot penny a glass you have just poured for someone, although teamwork is allowed! ) and a few are not allowed to use pennies because they damage the dishwashers. I believe Queens' is one where they use Smarties. If people are feeling particularly vicious, then anything liquid is vulnerable to pennying - e.g. water jug (not too bad) custard, puddings, gravy...

Sconcing: another drinking game, but mostly limited to boaties (rowers). At Clare at least, at the Boat Club Dinner at the end of term, a list is read out of people who have done stuff worthy of punishment (not entirely sure, seems to involve being late to outings, too much random pulling, anything else they feel like victimising people for). Those being "sconced" then have to down a concoction of something hideously alcoholic as forfeit.

Squash: at the start of the year, lots of societies hold introductory parties for Freshers to meet current members of the society. For some reason these are called squashes.

Carnage: results of a formal hall where there has been lots of pennying. Basically used to describe everyone being very very drunk and behaving less-than-decorously. Boat Club Dinners are notoriously carnage-wreaking.
    Boatie [Bow-TEE]
    Term used to discribe a bunch of misfits, which includes one possibly two boat fulls of fit athletes (16 people) and a random mishmash of novices.
    Afore mentioned novices row due to an ineptness at hand eye co-ordination involving sports.
    They take great delight in being part of a group for the first time in their lives, and proceed to give banter about "How ****-faced we all were at the boatie dinner, it was carnage"
    When as most people will point out, stick 9 monkeys in a boat, and dangle a banana, and they probably will infact row, and no doubt better than most boats on the river. Put the same monkeys in black tie in an alcohol soaked room, and once more there will be "carnage" (pronounced Karn-ARRR-ge)
    J

that sounds different to our sconcing. It's basically a version of 'I have never...' One person stands up and says "I sconce anyone who is/has ever..." and anyone who has then stands up and downs their drink. Only rule is that you are not allowed to self-sconce.
    Does no where else just call then fines like us?
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Boatie [Bow-TEE]
    Term used to discribe a bunch of misfits, which includes one possibly two boat fulls of fit athletes (16 people) and a random mishmash of novices.
    Afore mentioned novices row due to an ineptness at hand eye co-ordination involving sports.
    They take great delight in being part of a group for the first time in their lives, and proceed to give banter about "How ****-faced we all were at the boatie dinner, it was carnage"
    When as most people will point out, stick 9 monkeys in a boat, and dangle a banana, and they probably will infact row, and no doubt better than most boats on the river. Put the same monkeys in black tie in an alcohol soaked room, and once more there will be "carnage" (pronounced Karn-ARRR-ge)
    J
    Do you row yourself then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    stick 9 monkeys in a boat, and dangle a banana, and they probably will infact row, and no doubt better than most boats on the river.
    The 9th monkey would be the cox? Now that's a spectator sport. Whatever happened to the Monkey Olympics anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Cool.... I can live with that. I just don't want to be trapped in a situation where any bugger who wants a cheap laugh can ruin your drink at the drop of a penny.
    Generally it happens mostly at formals - only rarely in the pub, and you can always tell someone where to go if they do that. Even in formal technically you don't have to, but you'll be an outcast if you don't! Clare has a reasonable get-out clause that you don't have to down it until you touch it; therefore if you are holding the glass and someone pennies it, you have to do it immediately, but if it is just on the table, you can leave it a minute or two until you feel ready to face it.

One simple rule you learn ASAP: NEVER bring decent wine to formal, unless you're with your parents or something. As long as it doesn't have "Sainsbury's" written on it, it's all good. White is easier to down than red.

(Original post by BazTheMoney)
    the sconer will receive a forfeit, which can range from having to do a lap of the boat house naked, to being spanked 10 times with an oar.
    Hehe, I misread this, and thought it said "lap of boathouse naked being spanked 10 times with an oar!" The images that conjures up... :eek:

Lol at foolfarian's description - cynical but scarily accurate! As a slight alternative, we decided that at the Medsoc dinner, talking about rowing was a downing (not sconcing - we're not that mean) offence

ReputationRep:
    Oh you don't want to be wasting good wine on formals. As long as it's not to cheap it's fine, no-one cares after 5 glasses anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Even in formal technically you don't have to, but you'll be an outcast if you don't!
    B.S you just have to look at them menacingly enough and they'll back off. Oh sorry, I'm a compsci and so an outcast anyway, moot point.

One simple rule you learn ASAP: NEVER bring decent wine to formal, unless you're with your parents or something. As long as it doesn't have "Sainsbury's" written on it, it's all good. White is easier to down than red.
    No no, take nice(ish - we are students after all) wine but refuse to penny it, if you are going to drink pennied drinks only drink other people's wine. Ends up cheaper that way too.

The important rule for Clare is to always make friends with people who don't drink and/or the catering staff, either way you can get much more to drink by yourself rather than the measely half bottle limit you'd otherwise have.

Alaric.

do people really go with their parents or is this a joke or like college parents or something?
    sorry to be dumb
    rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    do people really go with their parents or is this a joke or like college parents or something?
    sorry to be dumb
    rosie
    Only those whose parents are also undergraduates at their college of course. Silly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    sorry to be dumb
    rosie
    people take their parents - it's just like taking them out for a meal, except it's in college.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it a little dangerous to be swallowing metal? And, worryingly, isn't it painful when you need to pass it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    sorry to be dumb
    rosie
    Sometimes if people's parents come up to visit them then they'll take them to formal - much cheaper than going out for a meal in town and it is quite a nice atmosphere.

(Original post by Alaric)
    No no, take nice(ish - we are students after all) wine but refuse to penny it, if you are going to drink pennied drinks only drink other people's wine. Ends up cheaper that way too.
    Cunning, but it's never really worked for me. I'm an alkie this term though, so I'll drink anything. And I have made friends with a few people who don't drink (I was very popular last term! ) but generally I'm just a cheapskate. I stole about 4 drinks off my college husband the other night when he wasn't looking, and he didn't realise I was doing it

(Original post by MentallyIll)
    Isn't it a little dangerous to be swallowing metal? And, worryingly, isn't it painful when you need to pass it out?
    Nonono! You don't drink the penny! You just down the wine, leave the penny in the bottom of the glass and fish it out to reuse it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    University education...you can't beat it.

Sometimes if people's parents come up to visit them then they'll take them to formal - much cheaper than going out for a meal in town and it is quite a nice atmosphere.
    ah right
    sorry i just didnt know that was common!

i couildnt ever let that happen. my mum might fll in love with beard man and steal him and then I would be bereft of my one True Love

ReputationRep:
    Nonono! You don't drink the penny! You just down the wine, leave the penny in the bottom of the glass and fish it out to reuse it.
    Couldn't they use something a bit less bogging? Like... crisping drinks or chocolate buttoning.... or Jack Danielising drinks.

(Original post by crana)
    i couildnt ever let that happen. my mum might fll in love with beard man and steal him and then I would be bereft of my one True Love
    Huzzah for the Beard Man of Alcatraz! Huzzah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Couldn't they use something a bit less bogging? Like... crisping drinks or chocolate buttoning.... or Jack Danielising drinks.
    But crisps would make the wine taste even worse, as would chocolate. Plus at civilised colleges (i.e. Clare and not Peterhouse) you aren't allowed JD in formal. Some colleges don't allow pennying because apparently the pennies damage the dishwasher, so people use Smarties instead. However, I really think pennies aren't that bad - if you down it quickly it is no problem :rolleyes:

Crana - beard man?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.