How much more difficult is A2 history than AS history?

Watch
hannah.m124
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am trying to decide which subject to drop, history or maths. Very different subjects, i know, and although i am naturally better at maths everyone is telling me it gets much harder at A2, so i was wondering how much harder history gets. Essay subjects are not my strength but i love history and currently i am getting A's.
I am an aspiring medic and my other two a levels will be biology and chemistry.
And I'm doing AQA history.
twelfthnight
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is exactly the same position my friend was in and she chose history. It's a little more difficult at a2 than AS but just as interesting. I guess if you are very good at maths a top grade is maybe easier to get but history is pretty well regarded and enjoyable. Also I did/do AQA and the exam style this year is nicer - the essays are worth more but the timing is nicer so there's less panic!
anonlad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you should do maths if you are naturally good at it - if you can do AS then A2 won't be a massive problem (going by the experiences of my friends). History is unpredictable, and as I found out, a bad essay question can leave you from getting A's all year to getting a U. Also, Maths is looked upon more favourably if you are applying for medicine I believe.

Just my opinion, ask around and talk to some medics
c_k62
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i do history and maths at A2 and history is HORRENDOUS. The only issue is (which may be different for you) is the fact we have coursework this year and i swear im suicidal, would rather just have 2 exams.
obviously you have to take into account the modules and if theyll be interesting to you. however if coursework is part of the A2 at your school youll hate it no matter what topic its on hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
hannah.m124
Rep:
?
I think i'm leaning towards history atm, at our school everyone does their coursework on the rise of the nazis, but i'm doing EPQ this year (it's compulsory; my school is super pushy) so it might make the coursework easier to handle?
It sounds silly but i'm a little bit scared of taking maths because even if i'm good at it now there's no guarantee i'll be good at it next year. I guess history is my safe option
hannah.m124
Rep:
?
(Original post by twelfthnight)
This is exactly the same position my friend was in and she chose history. It's a little more difficult at a2 than AS but just as interesting. I guess if you are very good at maths a top grade is maybe easier to get but history is pretty well regarded and enjoyable. Also I did/do AQA and the exam style this year is nicer - the essays are worth more but the timing is nicer so there's less panic!
No matter how much time I have in the exam, I always end up rushing my conclusions. I feel sorry for the examiners who have to decode my terrible handwriting..

Btw, twelfth night is my favourite Shakespeare play! Second place goes to The Tempest, I recommend it if you haven't already read it
Angry Spartan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did OCR rather than AQA, but the difference between AS History and A2 was quite a big jump I found. It suited me more because it was coursework and an open book exam, but the level of understanding on the subjects we did had to be much deeper than what was done at AS.
bevtolley
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hannah.m124)
I am trying to decide which subject to drop, history or maths. Very different subjects, i know, and although i am naturally better at maths everyone is telling me it gets much harder at A2, so i was wondering how much harder history gets. Essay subjects are not my strength but i love history and currently i am getting A's.
I am an aspiring medic and my other two a levels will be biology and chemistry.
And I'm doing AQA history.
I had the same dilemma last year - I really enjoy history, but think I should have kept maths (3 hard essay based subjects now). I've found that the jump in some modules isn't as high as in others - I'm finding the exam kind of easy, but the coursework is really hard! Since you're an aspiring medic, I would suggest keeping maths, since it's such a competitive field and they would probably prefer a science subject rather than an art.
Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.08%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (97)
31.8%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.52%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.57%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.57%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed