efarah1992
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Help! I have finally figured out that what I want to do is become a history teacher at secondary level but I have a law degree! I got a high 2:1 in Law but will I be allowed to become a History teacher with this? Will I be accepted onto a course?

I did do a year of History at Queen Mary University and got a high 2:2 but changed in a panic to be closer to home/fees ... (biggest mistake of my life!)

Any advice? Can it be done?

Thanks everyone!
SpenceHarris1589
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by efarah1992)
Help! I have finally figured out that what I want to do is become a history teacher at secondary level but I have a law degree! I got a high 2:1 in Law but will I be allowed to become a History teacher with this? Will I be accepted onto a course?

I did do a year of History at Queen Mary University and got a high 2:2 but changed in a panic to be closer to home/fees ... (biggest mistake of my life!)

Any advice? Can it be done?

Thanks everyone!
Worth contacting the admissions tutors in advance, but I'll warn from experience of applying around 2 weeks ago, most places on University courses are for waiting lists or they have closed (I have a first in history and politics from Uni of Sheffield, a Research masters in British History from Uni of Birmingham, and Uni of Notts only offered me a place on the reserve list as that is all they have left). But if you have schools experience, teach direct places are available and still opening so could work for you. Alternatively, you consider social science, law or citizenship PGCE and get into teaching history after your NQT year. Let me know if you have any questions
c_k62
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
my history teacher has a law degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vicky_B_10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a friend who looked into teaching history at secondary level and has a law degree, but she was told by staff at our previous high school that although she could get on a PGCE course it would be difficult to get a job as many schools would ignore applicants that don't have a history degree. She is now teaching primary.

So if I were you I would look into that, maybe ask staff at your old school if it would be difficult to secure a job after PGCE. I get the impression that History is the most competitive subject at secondary level.
smokane1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, did you ever become a teacher with a law degree? Thanks Susan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (167)
18.47%
Labour (390)
43.14%
Liberal Democrats (178)
19.69%
Green Party (51)
5.64%
Brexit Party (23)
2.54%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.33%
SNP (11)
1.22%
Plaid Cymru (9)
1%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.11%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.11%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (2)