Aliobeid
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Do you guys think jobs with ALOT of coding and programming would be good and demanding in the future? Meaning 4 years time ish... And. What sector of banking requires coding etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aliobeid
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Yes - this is why coding is being brought into the curriculum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holy crap is it! Do you think it would be wise if i teach myself now? Add in around 30 mins - 1 hour of programming&coding a day? Also is there any coding to banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheSilentBang
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The supply currently outweighs the demand hence the poor quality of programmers securing decent jobs. The government is making a push to train more people to do it.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aliobeid)
Do you guys think jobs with ALOT of coding and programming would be good and demanding in the future? Meaning 4 years time ish... And. What sector of banking requires coding etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Technology, Algoritmic Trading, Quant Analysis etc.
Aliobeid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Technology, Algoritmic Trading, Quant Analysis etc.
Does investment banking require coding? And what type of coding? Also does investment banking require a lot of maths? Some people said it does... Some said it doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aliobeid
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheSilentBang)
The supply currently outweighs the demand hence the poor quality of programmers securing decent jobs. The government is making a push to train more people to do it.
Ahh... Is there alot of demand for investment banking etc? Or any type of banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mathsz0r
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahh... Is there alot of demand for investment banking etc? Or any type of banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're asking a number of questions about investment banking, and clearly want to go in to the field, but know nothing about it. Do some research instead of just seeing £ signs.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does investment banking require coding? And what type of coding? Also does investment banking require a lot of maths? Some people said it does... Some said it doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Again, it depends what role you go into.

The ones I have specified tend to involve a heavy amount of maths and functional programming. Also, there is scope to go into hedge funds and other proprietary trading firms.

In IBD, you won't be doing any coding really. It's mostly excel and powerpoint.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aliobeid
Rep:
?
Again, it depends what role you go into.

The ones I have specified tend to involve a heavy amount of maths and functional programming. Also, there is scope to go into hedge funds and other proprietary trading firms.

In IBD, you won't be doing any coding really. It's mostly excel and powerpoint.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh cool! What about Analysis investment banking? I heard there is a little maths but mainly business, checking markets and coding? How true is this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh cool! What about Analysis investment banking? I heard there is a little maths but mainly business, checking markets and coding? How true is this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure what you mean by "analysis investment banking"?

There's research, where you analyse markets and draft investment suggestions and reports - there's barely any coding there.

An "Analyst" in IB is generally the job title given to entry level employees, those in Research (Research Analyst), or Quants (Quantitative Analyst)
Aliobeid
Rep:
?
Not sure what you mean by "analysis investment banking"?

There's research, where you analyse markets and draft investment suggestions and reports - there's barely any coding there.

An "Analyst" in IB is generally the job title given to entry level employees, those in Research (Research Analyst), or Quants (Quantitative Analyst)
Yeah an Analyst in investment banking. Is there alot of maths and equations? I heard there is so much maths but then i heard there is just a lot of checking the markets and analysing them etc. Do you think its a good job? I'm 16 and want to work my way towards being an Analyst in Investment Banking or any good banking but not a TON of maths like heavy equations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah an Analyst in investment banking. Is there alot of maths and equations? I heard there is so much maths but then i heard there is just a lot of checking the markets and analysing them etc. Do you think its a good job? I'm 16 and want to work my way towards being an Analyst in Investment Banking or any good banking but not a TON of maths like heavy equations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, the maths is pretty much GCSE level to be honest, the investment banking division is geared towards helping companies buy/sell other companies, helping them raise money to expand or providing advice.

It's more about understanding the companies you are dealing with (via financial statements etc.), modelling scenarios using excel (this is where the maths comes in) and presenting your findings via PowerPoint.

From my friends who are in it: "It's hellishly stressful, and the hours are killer but the opportunities in Private Equity/Hedge Funds later make up for it".

You'll be working 9am - 11pm (might be 1am the next day sometimes!) on average and about 80+ hours a week.

My advice is to just keep your head down, get amazing grades, try to dabble in some entrepreneurship/extracurriculars. You should definitely attend open days during year 12 - 13 to get more a feel for the industry.

Worry about spring weeks and internships etc. once you get to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aliobeid
Rep:
?
Well, the maths is pretty much GCSE level to be honest, the investment banking division is geared towards helping companies buy/sell other companies, helping them raise money to expand or providing advice.

It's more about understanding the companies you are dealing with (via financial statements etc.), modelling scenarios using excel (this is where the maths comes in) and presenting your findings via PowerPoint.

From my friends who are in it: "It's hellishly stressful, and the hours are killer but the opportunities in Private Equity/Hedge Funds later make up for it".

You'll be working 9am - 11pm (might be 1am the next day sometimes!) on average and about 80+ hours a week.

My advice is to just keep your head down, get amazing grades, try to dabble in some entrepreneurship/extracurriculars. You should definitely attend open days during year 12 - 13 to get more a feel for the industry.

Worry about spring weeks and internships etc. once you get to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
80+ HOURS? The pay is crazy but how can it be that much ! Also the bonus is amazing? And the maths at GCSE level? Ahh that actually calmed me down as maths at my level now (GCSE) is actually do-able. But what type of maths, like equations? What type. Also what are the requirements for investment banking? Anyways, what other types of banking is there with not much maths, hours not as long, good pay, checking markets, coding (not much) business finance etc? Investment banking seems interesting but the hours put me off a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you think its a good job? I'm 16 and want to work my way towards being an Analyst in Investment Banking or any good banking but not a TON of maths like heavy equations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best thing to do now is to go and research the role properly. Setting an ambition without actually knowing what it entails for no other reason than pay will most likely be a disastrous journey. It's good pay, yes, but the work you're meant to put in has no room for error and will take tons of time out of your life. Make sure you know what you'd be getting into as it's still early for you to decide what you want to do.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
80+ HOURS? The pay is crazy but how can it be that much ! Also the bonus is amazing? And the maths at GCSE level? Ahh that actually calmed me down as maths at my level now (GCSE) is actually do-able. But what type of maths, like equations? What type. Also what are the requirements for investment banking? Anyways, what other types of banking is there with not much maths, hours not as long, good pay, checking markets, coding (not much) business finance etc? Investment banking seems interesting but the hours put me off a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry bro, you won't find a role in banking with "not much hours". You are going to work hard for that pay cheque, did you honestly expect it to be a breeze? No one gets paid a lot unless they put in the effort.

I suggest you do some googling, there is only so much I can tell you. But as I said, it's still a long way away for you to worry about this stuff.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathsz0r)
You're asking a number of questions about investment banking, and clearly want to go in to the field, but know nothing about it. Do some research instead of just seeing £ signs.
This
Aliobeid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
This
Mind giving me links related with the career please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mind giving me links related with the career please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://bit.ly/1F0rAQX
edahmu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Heya, I need a hand! survey takes 2mins and one person gets £150- we're creating the uk version of Khan academy- if you could fill this out we'd be very greatful !

surveymonkey.com/s/5NPGQF6
Aliobeid
Rep:
?
Hahahahahha

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads