S2 Hypothesis Testing - Significance level Watch

CalculusMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Carry out this test using a binomial distribution where the random variable X represents the number of successes:

H0: p = 0.50; H1: p =/= 0.50; n = 20, x = 7 and using a 10% level of significance.

So; X ~ Bin(20, 0.5)

I am looking for P(X > 7) + P(X < 7) or 1 - P(X = 7)

None of these give me the correct answer of 0.2632.

Am I going the right way about it?
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
Hello!

You seem to be confused about exactly what the hypothesis test is doing. We have the null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis given. Now, our result to test whether or not these are true is n=20, x=7. A two-tailed hypothesis test means we multiply our result by two and then compare it to the sig level.

X ~ Bin(20,0.5)
n=20, x=7
P(x \leq 7) = 0.1316.

As it is two tailed:
2 x 0.1316 = 0.2632.

The result is not significant at level of 10%. H0 is still valid.

Hope this helps!
Trangulor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You shouldn't be getting 0.2632 as your final answer, it'll either be keep H0 or reject it.

In this case, since you clearly have a value lower than the expected mean, shouldn't H1 be p<0.50?

You need to work out P(X<=7). If that is less than your critical value (ie, is so unlikely to happen if your H0 is correct), then you reject H0
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Trangulor)
In this case, since you clearly have a value lower than the expected mean, shouldn't H1 be p<0.50?
The fact that H1 is p\neq 0.5 tells us that it is a two-tailed test and therefore we must double the probability of our result before comparing it to the significance level. If it said p<0.5 then it would be a one-tailed test.
khaixiang
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just one question, my teacher is so adamant that we should instead halve the significant level then compare it with P(x \leq 7) = 0.1316 in this case.

I know it's essentially the same thing, but then I won't get the "correct" answer of 0.2632
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (250)
39.06%
No - but I will (44)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed