bethnonsense
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I applied to 5 universities to start in Sep 2015 but have now decided I want a year out to do another short one year course at college first. I have three conditional offers at the moment and two interviews coming up. I know you can contact the university and ask for deferral but I don't know whether to do that now for the ones who have offered me a place or wait til I've got my firm/insurance choices sorted.
I don't want to wait too long because I need to apply to college before May (if I can go).
Is there any harm in asking now or should I wait? ?
Thanks
**please don't comment on my decision to/reasons for deffering. I am commited that this is what I want to do**
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bethnonsense)
I applied to 5 universities to start in Sep 2015 but have now decided I want a year out to do another short one year course at college first. I have three conditional offers at the moment and two interviews coming up. I know you can contact the university and ask for deferral but I don't know whether to do that now for the ones who have offered me a place or wait til I've got my firm/insurance choices sorted.
I don't want to wait too long because I need to apply to college before May (if I can go).
Is there any harm in asking now or should I wait? ?
Thanks
**please don't comment on my decision to/reasons for deffering. I am commited that this is what I want to do**
I would suggest waiting till after you have all your decisions, but before you formally choose your firm and insurance. One possible scenario is that you are torn between two unis (e.g for your insurance) and one uni will let you defer and the other won't. If so, that might crystallise your decision.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's worth checking the universities websites to see what they say about deferral first. I know Bristol prefer people to not defer (and will give you a higher offer as a result), yet Bath Spa consider direct and deferred entries in the same way. It prevents you from being in a position where your firm want to reject you/give you a higher offer because you want to defer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads