What finance is avaliable for me to leave home

Watch
Rdean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am studying A Levels and hoping to go to uni next year, however, I want to leave home ASAP. I have a part time job (weekends) and a car to run. There is no way I can afford to move out I can barely afford to run my car due to the high insurance prices. So what funding would be avaliable for me to do this? Thanks!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can use this calculator to get an estimate of how much funding you'll get when you go to uni:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Beware that it isn't intended to cover all of your uni costs - it's meant to be a contribution towards them. Your parents will be expected to make a contribution as well.

As a guide, most students can't afford to own/run a car. In addition, many unis don't have student parking on campus or at halls unless you have a blue badge. Check that out with the unis you apply to, if you're sure you want to take it with you.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's nothing for A Level students. Unless you have a child or a disability.
fluffyowl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
As a guide, most students can't afford to own/run a car. In addition, many unis don't have student parking on campus or at halls unless you have a blue badge. Check that out with the unis you apply to, if you're sure you want to take it with you.
I had no problems running a car while I was at uni. I worked part time during term time and full time during the holidays though. I didn't have my car at uni in my first year but I did in subsequent years.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fluffyowl)
I had no problems running a car while I was at uni. I worked part time during term time and full time during the holidays though. I didn't have my car at uni in my first year but I did in subsequent years.
Hence I said "most students"

I certainly couldn't have afforded the £1000 a year my car costs if I'd been living on SF alone, and I was on the maximum loans/grants.
fluffyowl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
Hence I said "most students"

I certainly couldn't have afforded the £1000 a year my car costs if I'd been living on SF alone, and I was on the maximum loans/grants.
I just didn't want the OP to think they HAD to give up their car. I know lots of people who managed to afford cars at uni. Student finance for me didn't even cover my rent, so I had no choice when it came to working. I didn't get any grants though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.47%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.25%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads