why do people think I'm autistic?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 50 years ago
Basically people think I'm autistic and lack social skills eg empathy. I don't think I do as if I see someone upset I try to help, happily talk to old people on the train and if I see a homeless person buy them a coffee and have a chat ect all those things seem like emphathy to me. But I am sometimes shy eg at a party where I don't know many people. Also people think I don't pick up on social ques eg when a pretty person goes 'oh I'm so ugly' I just ignore it. I do know they want me to say they're not but I just find it tedious. I know I'm not autistic but are these signs of autism or just normal.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you've answered your own question there. But in order for you to have Autism, you'd have to have a lot more symptoms. I've met at least one person who is Autistic who isn't shy. Although, I think he did once admit he fakes that.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well I don't know I'm not for certain its just my dad has aspergers so I was worried about it and mentioned it to my psychiatrist (who I used to see when I had anorexia) and he was like well I don't think you are I just think you're a bit shy.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If your dad has Aspergers, there's a higher chance you have it. Of course, that doesn't mean to say you do have it.
Anonymous #1
Should I get formally tested? Or just accept that I can sometimes be a little shy and hate people fishing for compliments. Don't mean to sound unsympathetic it just gets on my nerves.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it really causing you that much of a problem? Also, do you have any other symptoms? IE, strong and limited interests?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by OU Student)
Is it really causing you that much of a problem? Also, do you have any other symptoms? IE, strong and limited interests?
Not even sure I know what that means. I have a fave subject at A level which I've applied to do at degree because it interests me but I'm not obsessive if that's what you're asking?
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Not even sure I know what that means. I have a fave subject at A level which I've applied to do at degree because it interests me but I'm not obsessive if that's what you're asking?
Sorry yes, I did mean are you obsessive.
Anonymous #1
Sorry yes, I did mean are you obsessive.
. Nope not really
thisisme!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i'm not obsessive about anything really and i have a diagnosis. Easiest way to find out if its worth pursuing is probably asking parents what you were like as a child and seeing if any symptoms of autism were present then.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by thisisme!)
i'm not obsessive about anything really and i have a diagnosis. Easiest way to find out if its worth pursuing is probably asking parents what you were like as a child and seeing if any symptoms of autism were present then.
My dad has pretty severe aspergers but I'm not much like him I'm much more like my mum
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My dad has pretty severe aspergers but I'm not much like him I'm much more like my mum
It's a spectrum. And if you're female, (you haven't said otherwise) males and females on the spectrum are different. This has, unfortuantely, led to some uneducated people claim I can't possibly have Autism.:rolleyes: Yet, I've got a piece of paper claiming I do.
Anonymous #1
It's a spectrum. And if you're female, (you haven't said otherwise) males and females on the spectrum are different. This has, unfortuantely, led to some uneducated people claim I can't possibly have Autism.:rolleyes: Yet, I've got a piece of paper claiming I do.
Yep I'm a girl.
thisisme!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep I'm a girl.
My autism affects me (female) in a completely different way to my dad and differently again to my brother and different even to my sister. I probably appear least severe but it just affects females differently to males. People have told me too "there is absolutely no way you can have aspergers" because from the outside i appear functional etc. But I do have aspergers and have the paper to prove it also.
Anonymous #1
See it never even crossed my mind until last week. Some girl I know was like 'oh I'm so ugly' and I just ignored her. I did realise she was fishing for compliments just didn't care. And my friend was like how can you not care its a social convention you're autistic. So now I guess I'm worried I am.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If your dad has severe Asperger's then it's possible that you've just learned behaviours from him rather than actually have autism yourself. I have a friend who is a little like this - not autistic - but because he was brought up in a household with an older autistic sibling, he picked up some of his traits and behaviours.

Unless it is causing you a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can comfortably live your life then a label isn't going to change or affect that.

To be honest, not giving in to people who fish for compliments isn't the sign of autism. I commend you for it. You say you knew what she wanted you to say but you chose not to. I don't like to generalise but somebody with autism wouldn't have picked up on what she aimed to make you say, most likely.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
If your dad has severe Asperger's then it's possible that you've just learned behaviours from him rather than actually have autism yourself. I have a friend who is a little like this - not autistic - but because he was brought up in a household with an older autistic sibling, he picked up some of his traits and behaviours.

Unless it is causing you a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can comfortably live your life then a label isn't going to change or affect that.

To be honest, not giving in to people who fish for compliments isn't the sign of autism. I commend you for it. You say you knew what she wanted you to say but you chose not to. I don't like to generalise but somebody with autism wouldn't have picked up on what she aimed to make you say, most likely.
Yeah I just didn't really care. People fishing for compliments just gets on my nerves so I never bother to reply. Maybe a little rude but I just can't be bothered
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I just didn't really care. People fishing for compliments just gets on my nerves so I never bother to reply. Maybe a little rude but I just can't be bothered
Doesn't really sound like you're autistic as has been said surely you wouldn't have picked up on the social cues at all, never mind make the decision not to act upon them. Sounds like something I do as well. If you are autistic it's probably so mild that it's negligible and I reckon your friend was just being antagonistic it might be that she's using autism as she knows your dad's autistic.

I swear my doctor thinks I'm autistic because I can't look him in the eye and act really weird when I'm in a consultation. It's only because I'm a bit attracted to him and get a little shy and act oddly. He's started really actively seeking out eye contact and I'm really conscious of it. It's just funny how things are interpreted differently from every angle.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
Sometimes I think I'm autistic, but I think it's just psychosomatic from having read up the conditions of Aspergers Syndrome on the internet and thinking 'oh no, that's me!'. But whenever I meet people who actually do have Aspergers I think 'nah, I definitely don't have it'. (But if I do have it then it's probably a very high functioning form of Aspergers.)

I am awkward in many situations, but I think that's down to really terrible social anxiety and fear, thanks to dreadful experiences I've had with people in the past from school and stuff (I think I was actually fine before I went to secondary school). I was called names like 'weird' at school, but there were a lot of arses in my class who made life unbearable if you weren't 'cool' like them. I can relate to people fine though, especially if I've had a drink. Although sometimes I'm not sure if that's down to me, or me being a good actor.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
Sometimes I think I'm autistic, but I think it's just psychosomatic from having read up the conditions of Aspergers Syndrome on the internet and thinking 'oh no, that's me!'. But whenever I meet people who actually do have Aspergers I think 'nah, I definitely don't have it'. (But if I do have it then it's probably a very high functioning form of Aspergers.)

I am awkward in many situations, but I think that's down to really terrible social anxiety and fear, thanks to dreadful experiences I've had with people in the past from school and stuff (I think I was actually fine before I went to secondary school). I was called names like 'weird' at school, but there were a lot of arses in my class who made life unbearable if you weren't 'cool' like them - I think the nerves involved is where a bully's perception of you being 'weird' stems from in the first place. I can relate to people fine though, especially if I've had a drink. Although sometimes I'm not sure if that's down to me, or me being a good actor.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads